Topic: Wide fan size?

spqr67    -- 12-22-2012 @ 1:46 PM
  I'm in the process of swapping a flathead with a flathead (long story). The new motor uses the wide fanbelt whereas my old motor used the narrow ones. Anyone know the correct width of the "wide" belts?

Stroker    -- 12-22-2012 @ 3:07 PM
  I believe that they are 3/4 inch. Actually, we'd love to hear the "long story".

spqr67    -- 12-22-2012 @ 9:57 PM
  Thanks

*sigh* classic tale I suppose..."the car runs great". Probably should have driven it more than a block before plunking down my cash. Come to find out that a cylinder had a stuck valve. In trying to repair, I managed to bust 6 head bolts in fine fashion. After I started digging into the motor, I got to a tipping point. Is it cheaper to fix the old motor or start over with a fresh one? So then, might as well just keep going. Just found out that the previous owner had installed the O/D unit backwards. Awesome. Just keeps getting better.
On the bright side, my headlights work.

Michael

supereal    -- 12-23-2012 @ 10:25 AM
  Unless it, too, has been "jerry rigged", the later small belt engine would be a better bet. There are a number of advantages, such as seals on the intake valves, stronger oil pump, etc. As for the broken head bolts, they can be removed. If the bolt broke off above the deck, we wire weld a nut on it and turn it out. If it is broke below the deck, it is best left to a pro, as it requires a guide to center a drill bit. If the bit goes off center, it will likely breach the water jacket. As a standard practice, we replace all head bolts or studs during a rebuild, as the huge number of heat/cool cycles anneals the fasteners, making them prone to breakage. I don't understand how the O/D unit could have been installed backwards, but I guess stranger things have happened. Don't be discouraged. Most of us have bought a "surprise package" one or more times. Take a deep breath and step back a bit when it starts to get to you.

TomO    -- 12-24-2012 @ 8:00 AM
  You did not give us the year of the car or your replacement engine, so I am going to assume that the replacement engine is a 49-53. The water pumps, crank pulley and generator should all interchange between the earlier wide belt engine and the narrow belt engine.

Tom

rotorwrench    -- 12-26-2012 @ 11:27 AM
  A person definitely has to know the year in question. the old 1945/48 59A type engine uses wide belts just like an early 1948/52 8BA truck or commercial or even a 49 Mercury but they are two distinctly different engines. Narrow belt engines just use different sheaves than the wide type on the 8BA family of engines. The sheeves being press on type can sometimes be interchanged when need be but the different 8BA family of water pumps are engine mount specific.

This message was edited by rotorwrench on 12-27-12 @ 6:48 AM

spqr67    -- 02-24-2013 @ 12:17 PM
  Color me confused...the new motor was represented as a 49-53 8BA. All the numbers (intake, cyl covers, etc) add up but could have been easily added. The water pump, fan and crank all have wide belts. Again, possible that the motor is an 8BA but had incorrect water pumps and and crank added as part of the rebuild.
Considering just changing the pulley on the generator as the path of least resistance.
Any thoughts? Would be great to be able to positively identify the motor so I know what I'm dealing with.
Thanks all. Never easy, but not giving up!

supereal    -- 02-24-2013 @ 3:05 PM
  It is possible the 8BA type came from a truck, which used wide belts. All belts, wide or narrow, must line up with the pulleys. The narrow belt engines use water pumps which are offset because two belts were used. If it is a truck engine, it is likely the heads are marked 8RT, but not always. The 8RT water pumps have the same mounts as the early Fords.

42merc    -- 02-24-2013 @ 5:48 PM
  I believe the wide belt is 5/8" wide.
'49 Ford passenger cars are 8BA's with wide belts

trjford8    -- 02-24-2013 @ 6:59 PM
  The 8BA has the detachable bell housing. The earlier motors(48 and earlier do not,the bell housing is part of the block). This is the easy way to tell if you have an 8BA.

spqr67    -- 02-25-2013 @ 7:30 AM
  With the descriptions provided, it does seem likely that this motor was originally a truck motor but is an 8BA (based on the bell housing).
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't fit right in my 50 Fordor. Does anyone else have a different opinion?
If I change out the pulley on the generator to handle a wide belt, I should be good to go, no?
Thanks all for the great advice, its invaluable to a novice like me.
Michael

supereal    -- 02-25-2013 @ 9:24 AM
  Required changes include 8RT water pumps, both for the wide belt, and for the motor mounts, a single sheave wide belt crank pulley, and the appropriate generator. If you do have a truck engine, these may already be in place. The 8BA engines appeared in the trucks in '48, and with wide belts in the '49 cars. With the adapter ring on the back, the old style transmission should bolt up. Check to be sure that the clutch disk will work. Both are ten spline, but the early shaft is 1.37" diameter, while the later, '49 on, is one inch diameter. If the disk is incorrect, you will notice it when you try to drop the motor in. Don't ask how I know this. Be sure the disk matches the pressure plate diameter, too.

TomO    -- 02-26-2013 @ 7:08 AM
  If your replacement engine is an early 8BA truck engine, the front motor mounts and bell housing will not work in your 1950 car. You will have to remove the water pumps (with the front motor mounts), crank pulley, bell housing, flywheel and clutch from your original engine and put them on the replacement engine.

When you remove the water pumps look out for the bolt that is inside of the water inlet. It must be removed in order to free the water pump from the block.

If you can post a photo of the replacement engine, showing the front side and rear view, we can give you better information on your engine swap.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 2-26-13 @ 7:08 AM

supereal    -- 02-26-2013 @ 7:26 AM
  Tom, I missed the part about where the engine was going, and assumed it was headed for an earlier vehicle. The advice was for that, and as you note, doesn't apply to a '50. "My bad". Gotta get better glasses.

TomO    -- 02-27-2013 @ 6:34 AM
  Bob, I got a larger monitor for my computer because the type was too small for me to read it. It didn't do much good as the native resolution of the new monitor is much higher than the old one and windows insists on using the same number of dots that it used on the 1024x768 to form the characters on my 1920x1200 monitor. I have to go to the aids for the blind in order to get fonts big enough to read.

My new glasses helped somewhat, but now I have to switch them to read any paper documents. Getting old is not for sissy's and a s my youngest granddaughter said "Your not getting old Grandpa, you've been old for a long time".

Tom

39 Ken    -- 02-27-2013 @ 11:31 AM
  Tom, Go to Tools, zoom, and change the size of the font. Another way is to hold "control key" down as you roll the wheel on your mouse one way or the other. This will increase or decrease the size of your font. Ken

supereal    -- 02-27-2013 @ 2:24 PM
  I dunno, Tom. I have trifocals, and wonder if there are "quadfocals". It may just be my fading comprehension. My grandkids come up with those gems, too. I didn't have any until I was past 60, so they have been extra great fun. The eldest is now 17, and I don't feel the weight of the years until I look at them.

Stroker    -- 02-27-2013 @ 3:48 PM
  All: I have great distance vision, however my arms keep getting shorter! My "tight-wad" solution is a fist full of Wal Mart reading glasses of various diopters. I have one pair for the 'puter and reading, a pair for close work, and one for really-really small stuff. For me, the really-really small stuff pair works almost as well as a jeweler's loupe. As a questionably mature;(vintage 1939)machinist/welder/mechanic/racer/builder/commercial photographer & goof-off, our collective problem is simply a matter of focusing. Of course I'm not quite as ancient as Supereal, so maybe I will have to get quadrafocals some day! Question: If you have a car-lot with lots-O-Ford Focus examples therein, do you have Ford Foci?

mrtexas    -- 02-28-2013 @ 7:17 AM
  I have the no line progressive bifocals. Work great and I haven't even noticed they are there since the first day.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5551