Topic: Where to find the Vin # s

hardtymes    -- 12-21-2012 @ 7:44 AM
  I have a 1950 Ford 2 dr. sedan
I bought it in North Carolina
The only #s that I can see are on the firewall
and they do not match the title.
I was told that this was the motor # and not the
Vin #
There is no ID plate anywhere that I have looked.
Under the hood,or inside either door.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You !
Eddie Montgomery

trjford8    -- 12-21-2012 @ 9:24 AM
  You will find the VIN stamped on the frame. On the right side of the frame there is a crossbrace that runs at an angle from the right frame rail to the front crossmember. The ID number is stamped on top of that brace. You'll probably have to do some cleaning to find it.

Maxthedog1    -- 01-01-2013 @ 6:35 PM
  I am a brand new owner of a 39 Coupe, and have a lot to learn. A related VIN question - I know that the number is stamped on the frame near the driver side engine mount. But it is very hard to read. Are there any other locations where the number is accessible, or are they all covered by the body? Also - there is a tag on the firewall, also on the drivers side. What does it represent?

trjford8    -- 01-01-2013 @ 7:08 PM
  Max, the other two locations are hidden by the body. The number is stamped on top of the left frame rail just about mid door and stamped again about half way up on the left frame rail "kickup". The tag on the firewall is the patent plate and represents the patent numbers that Ford had in producing the cars. That plate has no relation to the VIN number.

42wagon    -- 01-02-2013 @ 3:23 AM
  Max
In addition to the locations that TrjFord has mentioned if your car has the original transmission the number is stamped at the very top of the transmission case just above the little inspection door. This is the actual engine serial number but Ford placed it on the transmission with the expectation that the engine would be replaced. When the engine/transmission was installed in a frame the number was transferred to the frame.

joe b    -- 01-02-2013 @ 7:20 AM
  To clean up the VIN, I used a battery powered wire wheel brush and took the frame down to bare metal. Everything was easy to read. I masked around the numbers and put on some clear coat. This way it will be easy to see for years. It is so small it hardly shows.

51f1    -- 01-02-2013 @ 8:03 AM
  If you are talking about the numbers stamped directly into the cowl inside the engine compartment, they are not the VIN and have no relation to the VIN. The numbers on the cowl were numbers used within the plant and the format for these numbers varies by plant. Some plants did not use numbers on the cowl. Although the example below is for a 1951 F-1 truck, similar numbers were probably used on cars:

Number on cowl – SR1M23G663: S = Somerville, MA, R = 8 cylinder 239 V-8, 1 = (F-1), M = Meadow Green, 23G = July 23, Unit no. = 663. (The unit number is an internal plant assigned number used to keep up with plant production.)

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5545