Topic: noisey/howling differential

jtserenityln    -- 12-19-2012 @ 2:39 PM
  Recently got my 35 tudor humpback on the road after restoration....differential was quiet until the first time it got up to operating temperature on an extended run,,,i can feel it vibrating upon acceleration and really howls when letting off accelerator, push in the clutch and coast there is no noise...I drained the differential of the 140 wt. and no metal on a magnet. running it on stands 1 wheel runs the other jerks and you can't really stop it from jerking. Is this normal ? Also seems to be alot of back lash before gear mesh probably 1/16 turn of wheel..

Stroker    -- 12-19-2012 @ 3:21 PM
  Since your other post suggests that you are going to be disassembling your rear axle, you should be able to check out ring and pinion lash and/or damage. Don't be concerned about the phenomena
of one wheel "jerking" while on axle stands, but do be concerned about trailing throttle whine,
as that is an indication of poor ring and pinion set-up, or badly worn components. If you aren't familiar with setting up an early Ford banjo rear, I'd suggest you either find someone who is, or consider finding a good complete assembled rear end. Ford rear ends aren't fussy, but they do have to be properly set up. Axle whine is not acceptable, nor normal.

supereal    -- 12-19-2012 @ 3:44 PM
  I agree with my friend Dan. Rear end noise can arise from several sources.. If the pinion or differential bearings have failed,, the noise should be constant, and rise with speed. If the noise apppears as a periodic problem, usually about forty mph, the mesh between the ring and pinion gears is likely to be off. Setting up an old Ford rear end is not brain surgery, but does follow a certain protocol. Ring and pinion gears are a matched set, and if they have been swapped without regard to this fact, the rear end will always be noisy.

JM    -- 12-20-2012 @ 8:39 AM
  There have been some good internet posts on other websites that give detailed procedures on rebuilding, setting gear mesh, etc., on the early Ford banjo rears. If you would be interested in reading these send me a message here (p.m.) with your email address and I will respond with info.

JM

info sent 12/27/12

This message was edited by JM on 12-27-12 @ 11:57 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5537