Topic: thermostat threads - 36 water pump

fenbach    -- 12-18-2012 @ 7:01 PM
  i bought a heat sensitive switch with 1/2" pipe thread for my water pump. too big.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Screw-Engine-Temperature-Sensor-Switch-173-190-1-2-/271037218649?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f1b13bf59

what size thread does the thermostat hole have? and before i rethread the sensor, does anyone know of a heat sensor with the correct thread? one with an off-on range of 175 - 190 deg more or less. or an adapter with male threads to fit the pump and a 3/8" pipe thread hole? [ i can swap the sensor i have for one with 3/8" pipe thread.
thanks.

supereal    -- 12-19-2012 @ 3:54 PM
  You can reduce a thread size with a reducer fitting, but no fitting can enlarge it. All cooling system connections use a conical pipe thread to assure sealing, and must be threaded with a pipe tap. Rather that enlarging the opening, it is best to obtain the correct part.

drkbp    -- 12-20-2012 @ 6:36 AM
  fenbach,

It's not a thermostat hole but a place for the temp sensor unit. Sensor screws in the hole and there is a armored small tube to the thermometer that is on the other end that goes in your dash gage. Mine has a combo temp/amp gage. The little temp tube slides in the gage in the dash. Use the left bank water pump and plug the right if it has a hole. I have a few pumps with no hole and I save them for the right bank.

We talked about these temp sensors a while back and I waited to see if someone would post the source for the temp unit. I can't remember where they can be bought. About $160 as I recall. The red liquid turns clear over a period of time. I can still see mine by the little "line" in the thermometer and it has probably been in the car for more than twenty years.

Also, the thermostats go inside the upper hoses that come out of the water pumps. Those you will just have to find at a swap meet or something. They are not available from any of the vendors as far as I know. Others may have a source and appreciate the post if they know.

Ken in Texas

TomO    -- 12-20-2012 @ 8:02 AM
  Try Baxter Ford Parts in Kansas. 785/842-9256

He restores gauges and sending units.

Tom

fenbach    -- 12-20-2012 @ 12:37 PM
  supereal,
i, too, thought that "All cooling system connections use a conical pipe thread to assure sealing." which is why i bought a sensor with 1/2" pipe thread. but as i said, the sensor is a little bit too big for the thermostat hole. and the plug in the hole now fits a 5/8" - 18 nut perfectly.
by the way, i'm not replacing the thermostat but rather installing a switch [on the right side pump] to activate an electric cooling fan.
my plan for now is to put 5/8 fine threads on the sensor plug.

supereal    -- 12-20-2012 @ 2:48 PM
  If you go that way, you can use a standard thread, along with some sealer to hold the sensor, of course. You can also install a threaded fitting in the top radiator tank, rather than altering a water pump. We have seen them in the top radiator hose above the thermostat. We have installed electric fans in street rods, but unless you have converted to 12 volts and installed an alternator, the system will not support the fan requirement. Most draw 30-40 amps when effective, and are relay controlled. I'm not a big fan of those fans, unless there isn't room for the conventional setup.

DEAN333    -- 12-21-2012 @ 7:35 AM
  Robert Shewman has new thermostats for about $50. I have two original's that worked fine in my '36 I can let you have for half that. Let me know. I see you have PM disabled, let me know here or enable and send me a PM.

TIM CARLIG

ken ct.    -- 12-23-2012 @ 6:55 AM
  Dean if you still have those hose type thermostats for a 36 i will buy them for your price stated. You can PM me from the fordbarn or email me. igadore@sbcglobal.net ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5535