Topic: adjustment of centrifical brake

missouriron    -- 12-18-2012 @ 5:57 PM
  I have a new leather on the piston that is used for a brake on the centrifical advance. Is there a recommended way to adjust this new part? Or, does one just guess on how tight to turn the set screw?

Any advice is appreciated.

Ron

keith oh    -- 12-18-2012 @ 7:12 PM
  Useing the octane fuel you are going to be useing, screw it out until you hear a slight preignition knock when pulling in high gear. Then turn it back in until you no linger hear knock or ping.

missouriron    -- 12-19-2012 @ 4:06 AM
  Thanks for the advice. I was afraid that trial and error would be the solution. I had hopes that there was simple process without using test equipment that I don't have. I'll let you know the results.

Ron

40 Coupe    -- 12-19-2012 @ 2:58 PM
  Take the adjustment all the way up and then screw it down 1 1/2 turns. Do not screw the adjustment out too far, the washer on the end of the screw will fall off, usually best to adjust by hand so you can feel the resistance.

supereal    -- 12-19-2012 @ 3:48 PM
  With today's fuel, the snubber is largely excess baggage. We set them up on our Sun machine, and back them off almost entirely as the initial setting.

missouriron    -- 12-21-2012 @ 4:07 AM
  It appears that the initial adjustment is not really important. I'm glad to hear that. I can use a trail and error method without much worry.

Thanks all for your advice.

Ron

Old Henry    -- 12-21-2012 @ 9:52 AM
  One thing to keep in mind while adjusting by "trial and error" is that the maximum centrifugal advance is going to be at maximum vacuum. As you depress the gas pedal past maximum vacuum while accelerating or climbing a hill the vacuum drops off and the brake retards the ignition. So, you'll notice that when you hear the ping at partial throttle accelerating or climbing a hill it will most likely go away as you continue to depress the gas pedal. That doesn't mean you don't need to turn the adjusting bolt in some. You could still do that. But, if even after adjusting it you hear a slight ping once in a while you can usually eliminate it by depressing the gas pedal a little more to let the brake drop down on the centrifugal advance wheel to retard the timing some. I have also found that I can eliminate the occasional ping by temporarily easing out on the choke a bit to richen the mixture.

P.S. I live at 5,000 feet elevation and drive my car mostly at that elevation and higher so all of my timing, both initial and advanced are all at maximum advance for maximum vacuum and power. I still don't get the power you guys get nearer to sea level. I experienced that one time only when at Death Valley this year. The additional power was amazing.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-21-12 @ 9:58 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5532