Topic: Light switch position for 36 Ford

dicker    -- 12-13-2012 @ 3:50 PM
  On my 36 4dr convertible, I can't seem to get the light switch to "go" up and down. It is somewhat sideways. Also, when switch position is full left the lights are off-next position to the right, I have a dead short. And then the next 2 positions are park and high beam. The switch used to operate correctly with all in sequence and I guess I may have buggered up something. Do I need a new switch? Can anyone help me get it right, please? Thanks, Dicker

Dick Kurtz

Oldad    -- 12-13-2012 @ 8:12 PM
  Suggest you examine the switch. On the '37 it is at the bottom of the steering column. Have a wiring diagram and volmeter/continuity tester handy. I would first check the mechanical operation of the switch to see if something is broken or disengaged. If that is OK, which I would doubt from your description of the problem, take an orderly approach to checking the wiring.

Oldad    -- 12-13-2012 @ 8:12 PM
  Suggest you examine the switch. On the '37 it is at the bottom of the steering column. Have a wiring diagram and volmeter/continuity tester handy. I would first check the mechanical operation of the switch to see if something is broken or disengaged. If that is OK, which I would doubt from your description of the problem, take an orderly approach to checking the wiring.

Oldad    -- 12-13-2012 @ 8:13 PM

trjford8    -- 12-13-2012 @ 8:32 PM
  Remove the switch from the bottom of the column. Check the wires connected to the bottom of the bakelite terminal plate. If its a repo harness I have found that the connections on the bottom of the plate sometimes come loose and cause a short.

flatheadfan    -- 12-14-2012 @ 12:57 AM
  I am not sure about this but didn't the '38-'39 wiring harness switch have a different arrangement of the contact terminals? If this is the case a wrong harness would explain the odd switch movements.

Tom

dicker    -- 12-14-2012 @ 9:54 AM
  Thanks everyone. I have tried all of these and find no loose wires and no damage to the switch. It is driving me nuts! It is especially crazy since it was working normally until I took the switch off to check something and when I put it back, that's when the trouble started. Gee, it seemed so easy! HELP! Dicker

Dick Kurtz

trjford8    -- 12-14-2012 @ 7:01 PM
  Make sure it is properly placed in the bottom cup of the switch. There's a certain way that the plate fits into the cup that keeps it from rotating.

TomO    -- 12-18-2012 @ 8:03 AM
  I would make sure that the switch is in the OFF position and the control is also in the OFF position while installing the switch.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5520