Topic: Erratic fuel gauge

rogbell    -- 12-09-2012 @ 6:34 PM
  My '53 has been converted to a 12v system and all the original gauges work correctly I think because a voltage reducer has been installed. I don't know where it is installed as I bought the car after it was done. My problem is that the fuel gauge starts to work but when the indicator reaches about the 1/4 mark it just stops and returns to the empty mark and doesn't do anything after that. Is this indicative of a short in the fuel electrical system? I installed a new sending unit that was supposed to work with both 6 and 12v systems. Thanks.

supereal    -- 12-09-2012 @ 7:57 PM
  Locate the sender on the top of the fuel tank. There should be a removable panel under the trunk mat. While someone watches the gauge, with the ignition turned on, ground the wire. If the gauge swings all the way over to full, the gauge and the connecting circuit is OK. Reconnect the wire to the gauge terninal and connect a wire from one of the sender mounting screws to ground. If the gauge doesn't register the correct amount of fuel, the sender is faulty, and will need to be replaced. To be sure, remove the sender and, with the body grounded, work the float arm to see if the gauge moves. Be careful when the tank is open to prevent fire or explosion.

trjford8    -- 12-09-2012 @ 8:01 PM
  There are different types of voltage reducers. Some reducers need to be put on each gauge. Some are designed to be placed on the back side of the gauge panel and one reducer serves all the gauges. My suspicion is the new sending unit is the problem. All the ones I have installed for 12 volt systems are not that accurate. You can try adjusting the float level and make sure there is an extra ground wire running from a sending unit mounting screw to a nice clean ground on the frame.

rogbell    -- 12-10-2012 @ 12:55 PM
  Thanks for your help. I'm afraid that my problem is a wiring issue as the level sensor functions correctly. Unfortunately, the wiring is a combination of original and new and a mess. Hope I can figure it out. Noticed the ammeter isn't working correctly either.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5512