Topic: Spring Shackles

LarryK    -- 12-09-2012 @ 4:17 PM
  Looking to purchase or borrow K. R. Wilson Tools V-170 and BV-121 to remove and replace spring shackle bushings in '39 Deluxe.

kubes40    -- 12-09-2012 @ 4:31 PM
  You can remove the old ones without the KRW tool. Yes, a bit more troublesome, but quite possible.
Installing them PROPERLY does require a press. The KRW is the best I have ever used. Finding one is nearly impossible.
I have seen "home made" presses that mimic the KRW tool and have little doubt they were adaquet.
I have also seen and heard too many times of guys that grind the pins down to fit easier. I always had to wonder why they would replace a worn out (old) pin with a worn out (new) pin?

supereal    -- 12-09-2012 @ 8:09 PM
  It is easier to use the rubber or Teflon bushings than replacing the original type. Use a muffler cutter chisel to remove the old bushings, or thread a hacksaw thru the bushings to cut them, then drive them out easily. The rubber or Teflon bushings prevent squeaks, and give a somewhat better ride.

Henryat1140    -- 12-11-2012 @ 4:39 PM
  Superreal has it right. This is one of the VERY FEW places where a modern part is 100% better than the original which used a kind of impregnated canvas - and had no way to lube them.

We used Pete and Jake's shackles with Delrin bushings. No special tools needed for install, they are quiet and hold the spring and axle in excellent alignment. Long lasting and maintenance free too. If you paint the shackle black it looks almost like original.

My 2c worth

kubes40    -- 12-12-2012 @ 7:55 AM
  I won't disagree with the mention / advice you've been given about the Teflon ® bushings. However, if you are thinking of having the car point judged, you must install the correct pins.
Any judge worth his weight, will spot incorrect pins and you will receive a deduction for same.

Henryat1140    -- 12-14-2012 @ 3:40 PM
  Mike is right about judging.

BTW, and a little off topic. I found another modern part which IMO is 100% better than the OEM Ford part. It's a polypropolene float for a fuel gauge sending unit. Our fuel gauge started reading empty all the time. Removed it and found the float with fuel in it. Replaced w/ poly float and problem solved.

Just for the record, I'm 99.99% in favor of sticking with OEM parts but occasionally there are exceptions.

You can get the float at Dennis Carpenter.

trjford8    -- 12-14-2012 @ 7:03 PM
  The good thing about the poly float is no one is going to pull the sending unit to check when judging your car!

MG    -- 12-15-2012 @ 12:40 PM
  Henryat1140 - What is the part number Carpenter uses for that polypropolene float?

LarryK    -- 12-18-2012 @ 3:17 PM
  Thanks, I didn't have high expectations for finding the K.R. Wilson tools. I am going to try some soft bushings.

LarryK    -- 12-18-2012 @ 3:18 PM
  Thanks, I am going to try the soft bushings.

LarryK    -- 12-18-2012 @ 3:19 PM
  Thanks, I am going to try the soft bushings.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5511