Topic: spark plugs

JohnA    -- 12-06-2012 @ 9:56 AM
  While I was at Hersey this year, I picked up a set of 8 spark plugs.Thsy go by the name Wizard (twin-fire)and they have two and I quote two electrodes, do you guys and girls think they are save to use in my stock 239 flathead.

trjford8    -- 12-06-2012 @ 10:30 AM
  Wizard plugs were sold by Western Auto. I suspect they would be fine to use as long as they do not extend too far into the combustion chamber. Compare them to a stock flathead plug to be sure. The dual electrodes were a big selling point on those plugs. How well they worked nobody knows.

supereal    -- 12-06-2012 @ 11:56 AM
  We see lots of variation , such as "Split Fire" and others. As Tom says, the jury is still out on whether they do much. The original H-10 plugs do tend to foul in a flathead that has oil or fuel problems. We recommend Champion RJ14YC as a replacement, as the longer tip tends to burn off the deposits. The only genuine improvement we've seen in spark plugs has been the adoption of precious metal tips to prolong the life of the plugs to between 50-100 thousand miles in newer cars and trucks. Due to the accessibility problems and the danger of ruining the threads in the aluminum heads when the old plugs are removed, replacing plugs is now mostly a job for pros.

51f1    -- 12-06-2012 @ 1:38 PM
  I have always doubted that multiple electrode plugs were any better than single electrode plugs. The spark is going to jump the smallest gap, not both simultaneously. Perhaps if you neglect your plugs long enough, eventually the smallest gap will wear until it becomes the largest gap, and, then the spark will jump to the other electrode. The way I have always judged these kinds of things is that, if they are so good, why don't they come on new vehicles? The new car and truck manufacturers want there vehicles to be as good as they can be so you'll buy another one. These plugs originally sold at a premium. I doubt if any savings would offset their higher price. But it won't hurt anything to use them, if they don't extend too far into the cylinder.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5500