Topic: Engine break in advice

spqr67    -- 12-04-2012 @ 9:09 AM
  I've got a newly rebuilt flathead (8BA) that I'll be installing soon. Other than squirting a little motor oil in the cylinder sleeves, what other things should I consider before buttoning it up and firing?
Thanks
Michael

Stroker    -- 12-04-2012 @ 11:38 AM
  I'd put a little Barr's Leaks in the coolant, make sure it's got oil and spin it over with the starter (plugs out) till you get oil pressure. Once you fire it up, don't just let it idle for an extended period of time. Once the vehicle is drive-able, vary the
speed and allow the engine to pull vacuum on deceleration. Try to avoid constant high
speeds for about 500 miles.

51f1    -- 12-05-2012 @ 5:14 AM
  What's the Barr's Leaks for?

Richard

Stroker    -- 12-05-2012 @ 6:37 AM
  51f1: If in the course of rebuilding, the block was "boiled-out", it is possible to have pin-hole casting leaks once the lime is removed. Even new engines often have
minor casting defects. Adding an initial "dose" of Barrs simply eliminates the risk of a small internal coolant leak that can be very hard to pin-point.

spqr67    -- 12-05-2012 @ 10:18 AM
  Thanks for the tip Stroker. I was planning on adding some water wetter to the coolant. Any reason to think the Barr's would react negatively when mixed?

Stroker    -- 12-05-2012 @ 11:08 AM
  Water Wetter is just a surfactant, which should not affect the action of Barr's which also contains surfactants. If you are not using anti-freeze, you might also consider adding some soluble water pump lubricant to the mix. Most modern antifreeze brands have a water pump lubricant included in the "brew".

I just checked-out the Water Wetter website, and they claim that the product contains a water pump lubricant, so please ignore my comment above regarding adding a soluble lubricant. I'd still add the Barr's though.

This message was edited by Stroker on 12-5-12 @ 1:00 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5494