Topic: engine tapping sound

tomlud    -- 12-02-2012 @ 10:11 AM
  I recently had an auto electric shop test for a low cell in my battery and while reving the engine to higher rpm i noticed a tapping/ticking sound from the engine at the higher rpm. It is not really noticable at idle speed. Could this be a tappet, valve/lifter issue? The engine oil pressure is over the halfway point on the gauge and the car runs great at 50-60 mph in overdrive, with plenty of pull and i don't hear any noise from inside the car when driving it. This is a stock 1951 Ford 59a flathead. I'm somewhat new to this hobby and not a mechanic. One old timer told me not to worry as long as i have oil pressure but i'd like to hear from some of you that have such a wealth of knowledge about these old flatheads. Thanks. Tom

supereal    -- 12-02-2012 @ 1:40 PM
  A slight tapping noise that varies with engine speed is usually due to a wider than necessary valve to tappet clearance. That clearance is set by grinding the valve stem. You will find it in a large number of old Fords. The valve chamber is often full of sludge which reduces the lubrication of the lifters. Frequent oil changes will likely reduce the problem, but not cure it. A heavier oil, such as 20W-50 will also quiet it somewhat. I wouldn't worry too much about it, anyway, Tom, as long as it doesn't get worse.

Stroker    -- 12-02-2012 @ 2:50 PM
  tomlud: Boy, I'd agree with Supereal and the "Old Timer" that a slight tapping is nothing to get yours shorts in a bunch over. My dad had a mechanic friend that rebuilt his new 1955 Oldsmobile due to a tapping sound. After a complete tear-down and overhaul, the tapping persisted. Turned out to be a noisy fuel pump.

supereal    -- 12-02-2012 @ 5:28 PM
  Thanks, Dan. Back when valve jobs were an everyday job, the "holy grail" was to be able to get thru the process and not have at least one noisy one show up. That was a rare occasion. Today, we use straight stem valves, one piece guides, and adjustable lifters, so the apprehension is gone. The arrival of hydraulic lifters in the fifties and sixties changed the game.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5488