Topic: 1939 Correct Carburetor ??

GohmerB    -- 12-01-2012 @ 6:07 PM
  I have had Ford 94 carbs given to me off and on years ago with about every model in my collection except a 91-99 which I learned some years back would be correct for my car; a 1939 Deluxe Tudor with an engine number that indicates it was probably built during the first week of 1939 production in September 1938. (This car was my Dad's and he had a Stromberg 97 on the car because he always liked them better.) One of my carbs is a Chandler-Groves that looks just like the picture on page 4-9 of "The 1938-39 Ford Book"; thank you Gary Mallast, I just got my copy a year ago. In the past year or so, I bought a couple of 91-99s off ebay and got a real good one for my car. Then just recently I saw an ad for a C-G 91-99. I questioned the seller and he said it was so and I bought it. My first C-G has the "H" (Holley) and 94 in an indented circle on the back with the opposite side of the bowl blank. My Ford script 91-99 has the "H", the 94 in an indented circle on the back, and Model 91-99 in a circle on the other side of the bowl with the word "model" in smaller font than the numbers 91-99. My new C-G has the same C-G info on the bowl but a different font, an "F" (Ford), the 94 on a RAISED circle on the back, and Model 91-99 in the same large font as the C-G on the other side and no circle around the model number. Both C-Gs have 15/16 on the venturi in the same size numbers. All have the same bases marked AA1.

My question is: Did Ford make some Model 91-99 carbs using the C-G name and patent info late in 1938 before Holley started making the 91-99s and would this carb be correct for my car made in September 1938? Seems like it would be a great conversation piece on the car for "those in the know". (-: Later, John

ford38v8    -- 12-01-2012 @ 10:29 PM
  John, you have a keeper. The CG 94 with no model number was introduced for the 1938 Ford, as I'm sure you are aware. Ford's year code 91 and Mercury's year code 99 were combined to identify the model 91-99 CG carburetor for the year 1939. As minor changes would occur in the carburetor over the years, the model number would also change, but still, there would be need for "Service Replacements" in the older configurations. The basic casting molds would need to be versatile, able to be quickly modified to reflect the model number being cast that day. Thus, the replaceable coin with the appropriate model number came into use. The other model 91-99 you have, the one with the model number in a circle, ...may just be a "Service Replacement" carburetor.

Now, before anyone calls foul, I hasten to add that there are no records as to exactly when the coin type identifyer came into use, and it stands to reason that the original molds would not survive the model year, and that future configurations of the carburetor were in the works. So, both types of model identifyer are likely to have been installed on 1939 Fords and Mercurys.

What is clear is the progression of changes in identifying the carburetor, starting in 1938, and that the 91-99 was destined to be job 1 for 1939. The "F" on your carburetor indeed shows that it was cast by Ford, and that the model 91-99 etched into the mold was the early style identifyer, MOST appropriate for your first~week~of~production 1939 Ford.

Alan

ken ct.    -- 12-29-2012 @ 4:05 PM
  If it were my carb i would use the one on the left of the pic with/out the 91-99 on it,it almost looks like someone scr*ped off the #'s or filed them off. Its very blotchey in that area. That would all come off if you glass beaded the carb and have an even finnish all over. You have a Sept. built car in 38 and could have used up 1 of the last of the 38 CG ones which didn't have the 91-99 on them.39 cars had the 91-99 on them.Yours must have been 1 of the earliest 39 off the line. Henry was not one to waste anything. OMO "kens ford carbs" ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5487