Topic: KRW hub puller

banjoQ    -- 12-01-2012 @ 9:52 AM
  This topic might have been addressed in the past. I missed out on a KRW hub puller and am now trying find one. Finding out there are similar tools to the original. Has anyone had experience with the tool offered from "Vintage Precision"? Also found one on e-bay that appears similar but looks to be a knock-off. I have tried to find a web site for Winfield Tool, only a ph.# Does anyone know if they are still producing this tool? Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated - Q

v8teditor    -- 12-01-2012 @ 11:48 AM
  Winfield Tool still sells their reproduction KRW hub puller and it is very nice. Good tool to have when you need it. I have one. Little pricey but worth it - cheaper than a new axle. Just be careful if you loan it out. Be sure you get it back. They still advertise it - see Page 82 of the Sep/Oct V-8 TIMES. No e-mail or website listed though. Guess you'll have to contact them the old fashioned way - by snail mail or the telephone!

This message was edited by v8teditor on 12-1-12 @ 11:49 AM

banjoQ    -- 12-01-2012 @ 3:09 PM
  v8editor- Thanks for the info, I was starting to think a phone call would be the only way to find out. I am on the West Coast, I will have to call during work hours. There seem to be a few variations of this tool, but most agree this one is the best. Cheap insurance against damaged parts!

Stroker    -- 12-01-2012 @ 5:55 PM
  Q: I finally "scored" a used KRW on our classified site some time ago. Like you, I was kind of "put-off" by the hassle of having to call a phone number, which is apparently answered by the people who manage their "real business", which is re-building scientific equipment. I had used an original KRW back in the 50's, which I was able to scrounge from a friend who worked a a local Ford dealership. After that, I'd never go back to
the Neanderthal methods. I have not yet used the latest acquisition, but plan upon refreshing my rear wheel bearings with some nice NOS examples this winter. Having "checked out" my repro Winfield KRW, and compared with some of the similar types you referenced, I think it is the only way to go. Some of the reproduction Ford parts suppliers list the KRW, but because they have to pay the same as you do ordering from Winfield Tool, they are appropriately marked-up. As V8editor says, give them a call. Enjoy your wet weather, as we could sure use some rain back here in the Midwest.

banjoQ    -- 12-01-2012 @ 6:55 PM
  Hi Stroker- I will be making the call Mon. It's not like I can drop by Sears and pick one of these up. I am anxious to move on with this project. Just as soon as I can free up the rear axle I can get it pulled out and moved to my own garage. My goal is to get this up and running by spring. Might learn a few tricks along the way. cheers- Q

supereal    -- 12-01-2012 @ 7:45 PM
  I've had my Winfield puller for many years. Today, it is twice as expensive, but no less the best tool of its type, bar none. Think of it as an investment, like most very good tools.

37 Coupe    -- 12-02-2012 @ 7:43 AM
  I use this type of brake drum puller. It may be a Snapon blue point? make I don't know but worth keeping your eye out for. Much heavier duty than the KR Wilson and a lot of people think that if it is not a KR Wilson than it is not for a Ford. I was given this years ago by an old Ford garage mechanic and I have seen a couple others at estate auction that were personal tools of Ford dealership mechanics.

supereal    -- 12-02-2012 @ 8:14 AM
  I'm an old Ford mechanic, but I've never seen one like that. How does ot attach to the hub? The Winfield has a split cone that grips the grooves on the hub, and is secured by a large ring that slips down to hold the tool in place. There is a fitting to protect the end of the axle that receives the end of the threaded bolt, which is tightened against it. When properly tensioned, if the hub doesn't pop off, a rap on the end of the screw always finishes the job.

37 Coupe    -- 12-02-2012 @ 8:44 AM
  The four segments have a ridge that fits the hub groove and are spring loaded,the ring keeps everything together,a brass nut fits on the axle shaft. Does Model A have the same grooved hub? Curious to what else this fits. I originally got it for my 46 Ford,1971 or so.

This message was edited by 37 Coupe on 12-2-12 @ 10:27 AM

37 Coupe    -- 12-02-2012 @ 10:32 AM
  This shows you the size.

supereal    -- 12-02-2012 @ 5:31 PM
  The puller fits Ford hubs from '28 thru '48.

TomO    -- 12-03-2012 @ 7:42 AM
  That puller looks like the Manzel puller we had back in the early 50's.

The SnapOn puller was different, it could be used on the lug nuts or the hub, depending on the adapter used. It was more of a mufti-purpose puller.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5486