Topic: '39 Steering Column

V8JR    -- 11-29-2012 @ 4:58 PM
  '39 Steering Column question - I am replacing the upper steering bushing (the one at the top of the steering column). Is there a 2nd bearing/bushing part way down, inside the column/tube? - Jimbo

Stroker    -- 11-29-2012 @ 6:15 PM
  Jimbo: There is only the top bushing, and then of course there is a locking collar further down that engages the ignition lock. However.....I have seen more than one top bushing present, as some "hammer-mechanic's" have been known to drive a worn bushing further down the tube instead of removing it prior to replacement. The easiest way I know of to remove the original bushing is to drive a few deck screws in with a power screwdriver, and use them to nurse the old bushing out with Vice Grips and a Jiffy Bar.

kubes40    -- 11-30-2012 @ 6:07 AM
  Ford intended there to be but one bushing. However, my experience has shown two and even three bushings installed. Not simply the worn out on driven down but placed in the tube below the "lock". I relate only the cars I trust to be unmolested / authentic vehicles.
When I restore one of these models, I install only one.

kubes40    -- 11-30-2012 @ 6:11 AM
  Ford intended there to be but one bushing. However, my experience has shown two and even three bushings installed. Not simply the worn out one driven down but placed in the tube below the "lock". I relate only the cars I trust to be unmolested / authentic vehicles.
When I restore one of these models, I install only one.

trjford8    -- 11-30-2012 @ 6:43 AM
  Since the bushing is not seen I would recommend you replace it with a bearing. You can buy the bearing and sleeve and spring from most V-8 vendors. It will make your car steer much easier.

V8JR    -- 12-02-2012 @ 9:49 PM
  Thanks for the info - I have a bushing with a brass looking sleeve on the inside but will look into the bearing suggestion before assembling - Jimbo

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5482