Topic: Identifying '40 Ford front seat?

Flatbob    -- 11-28-2012 @ 8:16 PM
  Bought a front seat which I believe to be a '40 Ford; specifically I was looking for one that came out of a '40 Tudor. I have doubts about whether it's out of a tudor though. The seller said he modified it in that he added foot rests at the rear of the seat; he used it in his '38 convertible until he was able to locate the correct seat for his convertible. He stated that he was confident it came out of a tudor. There is a metal tag on the bottom of the seat with GLSC O1A7063100C on it; am not absolutely certain about the letter C at the end. Would the "C" stand for coupe? Will try to attach picture.

This message was edited by Flatbob on 11-28-12 @ 8:41 PM

trjford8    -- 11-29-2012 @ 7:28 AM
  The footrests definitely look homemade although the brackets look original. I believe the seat is a 40 seat due to the part number(O1A). Do you have photos of the backrests?

deuce_roadster    -- 11-29-2012 @ 8:33 AM
  The 70 after the 01A indicates it is indeed a tudor seat. If it was say a station wagon seat the number would be 01A79****
If the seat was used in other bodies it would retain the 70 or Tudor body indicating number

deuce_roadster    -- 11-29-2012 @ 8:43 AM
  If the last character is a C and not something else like maybe a zero it could indicate Commercial. In the picture the seat looks narrow so it could be out of a pickup, maybe it is just the picture. Most Ford part numbers have the body type as the first 2 numbers after the year designation. My 40 Body book has
70A-std tudor, 70B-dlx tudor, 70-sedan tudor 116" wheelbase (ie Mercury).

Flatbob    -- 11-29-2012 @ 9:36 AM
  trjford8 & Deuce-roadster thanks for responding. Deuce, you state the seat looks a little narrow, do you mean the overall length looks a little short? It measures 46" end to end. I don't know if it will be visible in the picture but there is a small necktie shaped strap between the backrests, any idea what that's for?

This message was edited by Flatbob on 11-29-12 @ 9:36 AM

trjford8    -- 11-29-2012 @ 2:08 PM
  It's definitely a '40 tudor seat and not a pickup seat. Pickup seats do not have a sliding seat track(prior to 1948). One of the other indicators that it is '39-'40 is the flat adjustment lever on the left side. If it was a '39 seat the backrest cushions would be different. Those seats are upholstered in two pieces(backrest is upholstered and then the cushion is upholstered and they are put together). The '39 seat is also more rounded on the top corners. The '40 backrest cushion is upholstered in one piece just like the one you are showing.
The strap in the middle is used to cover the center hinge. It pulls over the hinge and is scr*w*d down just behind the hinge with a chrome screw and finish washer.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 11-29-12 @ 2:23 PM

deuce_roadster    -- 11-29-2012 @ 4:28 PM
  Triford is right about the pickup seat. I have a 40 conv and 40 std coupe as well as a deluxe wagon, and the conv and coupe use the same front seat as the tudor. The trim was different between the closed cars but the seat itself was basically the same. Some had rear foot rests some didn't.
I thought the total width looked less then what I expected but it probably is just the lens of the camera. I am certain you have a 40 seat.

Flatbob    -- 11-29-2012 @ 6:20 PM
  Thanks for identifying what I hoped was a '40 tudor front seat. I will try and locate the original footrests.

trjford8    -- 11-29-2012 @ 7:40 PM
  I'm not completely sure, but I think the footrests were all the same in '40. The footrests from a fordor will most likely fit.

kubes40    -- 11-30-2012 @ 6:51 AM
  * The convertible seat was NOT the same as the coupe nor the sedan. In fact, the seat is a tad narrower (about 1" as I recall) and as such, the tracks do not have the same "bolt pattern". There are other differences as well. The convertible seat never had foot rests and subsequently the seat frame differed not only in size but appearance than those of the sedans.
Many guys have utilized tudor seats in their convertible restorations. It takes a fairly sharp eye to detect this swap IF done well. By "done well" I mean the reinforcement braces on the floor pan have been modified to relocate the caged nuts, the footrest brackets were removed and the seat frame repaired to remove the telltale signs of the braces and the wooden board (with brackets) installed beneath.
* All sedans had footrests.
* The finish washer and screw that holds the trim flap in place between the seat cushions was S15, oxidized finish, not chrome nor stainless.
* The "C" suffix has nothing to do with model. Rather, it is indicative of a design change. In the case of a seat cushion it is usually indicative of the covering. IE mohair vs. say broadcloth.
* Foot rests are very different between tudor and fordor sedans. If I recall correctly, the fordor footrest is about 1 1/2" narrower than the tudor footrest.
Mike Kubarth

deuce_roadster    -- 11-30-2012 @ 7:46 AM
  Mike,
Thanks for that description on the difference between a coupe/tudor seat and a conv seat. I must have misread my July 1940 Body book which I thought had listed for the front seat and mounting parts 01A 70**** numbers and for the back seat 01A 66**** numbers. It is great to have your expertise.

kubes40    -- 11-30-2012 @ 8:21 AM
  Deuce, I've always appreciated your advice. You've taught me things on more than one occasion.
Me? Expertise? Not so certain about that. Experience (busted knuckles) perhaps

I, like I am confident you, have found errors and omissions within the parts books. That certainly doesn't help us restorers!

As a side note, I have seen guys "stretch" the tudor tracks to bolt in to the convertible frame braces. Not sure how that allows (or doesn't) the mechanism to roll properly.

deuce_roadster    -- 11-30-2012 @ 8:37 AM
  Ok Kube, Experience!! Yes, as good as those books are they do contain errors. I know you have access to the archives and engineering drawings so will always go by your research. I will have to scrutinize my convert. a bit closer. Somebody could have replaced the front part of the floor with one out of a coupe.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5479