Topic: Original gauges in 8 volt system

old 40 guy    -- 11-28-2012 @ 2:47 PM
  I have newly acquired 39 panel truck with engine rebuilt by prior owner. To aid in starting, he changed system to 8 volt battery and the regulator has been "adjusted" for 8 volt charging. I want to use original gauges and have a friend who can make step down resistors so gauges aren't damaged and will hopefully read correctly. Friend needs electrical values especially amperage into gauges.
Are there any other modifications that I need to make to electrical system ?? I am assuming (hoping) that coil, points, condenser will be OK. Does anyone make 8 volt to 6 volt stepdowns similar to the 12 volt to 6 volt stepdowns ??

Thanks !!!

51f1    -- 11-28-2012 @ 3:06 PM
  In my opinion, the best thing you can do is to repair whatever caused the former owner to convert to 8-volts and to restore your electrical system to 6-volts. A 6-volt system will work fine if properly maintained. For some reason, there are people who would rather modify a system on these old Fords rather than just fix what's wrong.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 11-29-12 @ 1:10 PM

alanwoodieman    -- 11-28-2012 @ 4:36 PM
  in reality the original 6 volt system generator put out 7 volts +/- so there is really no need to convert the gauges. but as said before fix the 6 volt system and it will do fine-my 40 wagon has been great for 20+ years. FYI-- most of the time it is bad grounds that cause the problems

TomO    -- 11-30-2012 @ 7:31 AM
  I will add my 2 cents in converting back to 6 volts.

Your light bulbs will burn out much faster on 8 volts.

Your generator will not last as long on 8 volts, unless the field coils were rewound for 8 volts (unlikely).

6 volts will spin the starter fast enough to start the car, if it does not, there is a problem with the wiring or the starter. Check back here if it does not spin the engine fast enough and we can give you a procedure to find the source of the problem.

Your coil will run hotter and the points will burn faster on 8 volts.

Tom

supereal    -- 11-30-2012 @ 10:07 AM
  Almost always, conversion to 8 volts is done to facilitate starting, rather than diagnosing the real cause. Yes, the 6 volt generator puts out about 7.5 volts at full charge, which means the 8 volt system can produce between 9-10 volts, enough to shorten the life of the electrical parts of the vehicle, or destroy them altogether. Attempting to compensate the gauges is just another "band aid". Six volt sytems functioned well for over half a century, and still will, if the system is mantained and rewpairs as needed.

old 40 guy    -- 12-03-2012 @ 2:01 PM
  I appreciate the feedback on this issue - your insights are very helpful and you have kept me from making a serious mistake. 6 volts it will stay !!!!
Many thanks to all.

wilmalcolm    -- 12-06-2012 @ 3:05 PM
  I converted my '53 pu to 8 volts and was still having cranking problems. After checking the starter out a friend said that I should have larger battery cables. With #2 gauge cables everything works just fine.

This message was edited by wilmalcolm on 12-6-12 @ 3:32 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5478