Topic: Newer shock absorbers

Gary C    -- 11-27-2012 @ 5:07 PM
  I recently purchased a 1935 ford and it has NO shocks on it. The knee action shocks are long gone. I picked up a pair of front upper mounts for tube shocks on ebay. I've been told that they came out sometime in the 40's. I'm not sure how to deal with the bottom part that attaches to the front "spindle/axle". If anyone has tube shocks on their mid 30's Ford, A picture would help. Thanks for any thoughts. Gary

supereal    -- 11-29-2012 @ 9:21 AM
  The conversion from front lever shocks to tubes usually requires replacing the front spring perches with those designed with a second hole to accomodate lower end of the shocks. You can see the kit in the C&G catalog (cgfordparts.com). You should know that removing the original perches can be very difficult, as they are tapered, and almost always firmly stuck in the axle. Usually, the front axle must be removed so it can be placed in an arbor press. After trying heating and beating, that is the only surefire procedure that can get them out.

woodiewagon46    -- 11-29-2012 @ 1:27 PM
  The 1941-48 Ford book offered by the V8 Club shows a conversion on page 4-10. The upper shock mount is self explanatory but the bottom bracket calls for drilling a hole in the axle, something I would never do! Many hot rod suppliers offer a lower shock mount that bolts under the spring perch bolt. You can try TCI or So- Cal Speed Shop they have it.

woodiewagon46    -- 11-29-2012 @ 1:30 PM
  The 1941-48 Ford book offered by the V8 Club shows a conversion on page 4-10. The upper shock mount is self explanatory but the bottom bracket calls for drilling a hole in the axle, something I would never do! Many hot rod suppliers offer a lower shock mount that bolts under the spring perch bolt. You can try TCI or So- Cal Speed Shop they have it.

trjford8    -- 11-29-2012 @ 2:28 PM
  On the kit that you have the lower mount is a tapered stud that fits into the original "eye" (where the original shock link mounted) on top of the axle perch pin. If you know someone with a lathe you can taper a standard shock bolt to fit into the hole.

Gary C    -- 11-29-2012 @ 7:12 PM
  Thanks all for your input. It gives me food for thought. Cheers, Gary

1935ford    -- 12-01-2012 @ 6:50 PM
  Gary,
I had a similiar experience with the '35 I bought last year. Installed repro hydraulic shocks which are performing very well. If you're interested, I'll provide more info.
Roger J.

Gary C    -- 12-02-2012 @ 12:02 PM
  Hi Roger: Yes I'm very interested in what you did with your shock conversion. Info and pictures whould be helpful. Thanks for your response. Gary

supereal    -- 12-02-2012 @ 1:31 PM
  Thanks for the pic and the info. It could be used on all Fords '28 thru '48. Very interesting to see a tool like that for the first time.

Stroker    -- 12-02-2012 @ 2:43 PM
  Super: Methinks you meant to post your last reply under the KRW thread. We truly understand, as many of us who are fans of early Fords are older than their Fords are, and therefore have our "Early V8 Moments"

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5472