Topic: attaching seals around radiators on 1950

spikesjunk    -- 11-26-2012 @ 4:57 PM
  Does anyone out there have a method to attach the seal to the upper and lower radiator sheetmetal peices around the radiator on a 1948 to 1951 ford f series truck I have the seals and sheetmetal removed but can not find any thing that looks like the staples hold it in place Has any one done this ??? HOW? I saved the old ones but it would be near impossible to reuse them. How did you all do it

trjford8    -- 11-26-2012 @ 5:16 PM
  Spike, did the seals come with new staples?

supereal    -- 11-26-2012 @ 6:05 PM
  We use 3M emblem cement, available at good auto supply stores.

TomO    -- 11-27-2012 @ 9:39 AM
  The staples are just round wire cut to length and then fitted into the existing holes. A very tedious job, the 3M cement is easier

Tom

37 Coupe    -- 11-27-2012 @ 4:48 PM
  I remember doing this years ago on a low mileage 1946 Ford coupe. Forty years ago no one was making the rubber yet, that I knew of but staples were rusted, I removed to repaint the cover and reused the rubber with correct stainless "staples" I formed from stainless wire.

51f1    -- 11-27-2012 @ 4:51 PM
  On my '51 F-1, I used wire of similar diameter to the original staples. I bent the wire so it resembled a staple and used the holes in the sheet metal that were punched when when the original staples were installed. Just push the wire through the rubber. The old staples you have should provide you with a good pattern. You don't need any glue. I'll bet no one can tell mine from the real thing.

Richard

Pickup    -- 12-01-2012 @ 1:03 PM
  Go to a Hobby shop and get a piece of piano wire the correct diameter and bend the staples with pliers. Push the new staple through the rubber and into the metal using the original holes. Bend the ends to lock in position. I have done this several times.

spikesjunk    -- 12-04-2012 @ 10:59 AM
  Thanks for the info. Has anyone ever seen the factory machine that does this? I figured out tthe stainless wire trick it works ok and does take time. Thought maybe someone had a faster way. This truck was Mass produced after all. HA HA and NO staples did not come with the seals. How do judges feel about the glue?
If any of you happen thru Middletown PA just over the hill from Hershey. Stop by and say HI. My son and I would like to see your cars. Trying to get him hooked too. Rt 230 between Middletown and E-town Look for the cars and Red barn / pole building

TomO    -- 12-05-2012 @ 7:31 AM
  You would probably lose a point with the glue and no staples.

Tom

trjford8    -- 12-05-2012 @ 7:37 AM
  Spike, for judging the vehicle has to look like it did when it left the factory. If you used glue to place the seals you would lose some points.

51f1    -- 12-06-2012 @ 7:20 AM
  I don't recall ever seeing a stapler that staples through sheet metal, but they still do it. I saw something manufactured recently that had staples through the sheet metal.

Richard

woodiewagon46    -- 12-06-2012 @ 10:28 AM
  For some reason the suppliers don't include the "staples" with the seals, what I did was get stainless steel wire of the same gauge and made my own. It takes some time but it was very relaxing.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5467