Topic: Flathead exhaust question

spqr67    -- 11-23-2012 @ 10:11 PM
  What would the repercussion be if I removed the exhaust crossover tube (front of engine, goes from one manifold to the other) and capped the ends. Would be the same as headers, no?

ford38v8    -- 11-23-2012 @ 11:00 PM
  There wouldn't be any reprocussion because the engine wouldn't run with the driver side exhaust capped off.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Dual exhaust is where you are going with this. The crossover is capped at the passenger side and removed, then the driver side exhaust is routed down the driver side to exit at the rear: Dual exhaust.

There is a second crossover, not visible unless the intake manifold is removed. This crossover is in tended to preheat the fuel/air mixture for better combustion. Sometimes, this crossover is disabled by hotrodders, and then there is plenty of repercussion! The exhaust note out the rear is then separated left from right, no longer cancelling each other out, louder and more distinct, definitely Ford Flathead!

Alan

spqr67    -- 11-24-2012 @ 8:16 AM
  Sounds like its time to replace the exhaust properly. Was looking for a economical solution while I saved some $$.
Thanks for the reply!
Michael

supereal    -- 11-24-2012 @ 10:33 AM
  For the most part, if you have a good muffler shop nearby that makes up the pipes, it is usually your best, and least expensive, choice. Mail order systems often require fitting.

spqr67    -- 11-24-2012 @ 3:19 PM
  Please disregard my initial post as I am an idiot

Thanks for the good feedback tho!

Michael

Stroker    -- 11-24-2012 @ 4:27 PM
  Michael:

There are no stupid questions, only smart-assed answers. If your left-hand manifold
had two outlets, as did some later Fords, you could have done just that. Unfortunately, our early Flatmotors relied entirely upon dumping the left-hand gasses
into the right-hand manifold. Simple "duals" can be had by piping each manifold to its' own muffler/tailpipe. Not exactly "headers", but they sound good.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5454