Topic: Is it worth it?

spqr67    -- 11-20-2012 @ 3:22 PM
  I've gotten to the point where my flathead either needs to be rebuilt or I find one that is ready to go.I happened on a retiring mechanic who's willing to let one go for $2K. It appears to have all the right bits and has been gone through.
My question is two fold. Is this a good deal and will it fit in my 50 custom (its apparently a '49 engine) without modifications to the body or tranny?
Thanks
Michael

PS. I'm learning..slowly

ford38v8    -- 11-20-2012 @ 5:17 PM
  Michael, The '49 - '53 V8 engines will interchange with no modification. $2000 sounds like a good deal for a running engine, but a little high for an unknown quantity.

Alan

sturgis 39    -- 11-21-2012 @ 6:34 AM
  There is a company that is selling rebuilt flatheads on e-bay for about $3000. They have a name Like reman or something like that.I think an engine tear down should be done on the engine for $2000 unless he is a trusted friend. H and H does a lot of flatheads and their price is around $3000.The extra $1000 now might be cheaper in the long run unless you know the mechanic and his reputation.

If one of my trusted friends had one for sale for $2000, I would buy it.

IF IT CAN NOT BE FIXED WITH BLASTING WIRE, DUCT TAPE OR JB WELD - IT CAN NOT BE FIXED

supereal    -- 11-21-2012 @ 9:49 AM
  Buying an engine without looking inside is a bit like buying a pig in a barrel. More often than not, an engine for sale is there because the rest of the vehicle was damaged or destroyed. With no reliable source of information regarding the use of the thing, it is anyone's guess what is inside. We get an average of $3,000 for a complete rebuild of a customer's engine. This includes reboring and honing, new stainless valves and hardened seats, adjustable lifters and new bearings all around, pistons, rings, and resurfaced heads. If the block, upon exanination, is unsuitable for the work, add $500-$1000 for a sound block. When we are offered an engine for core use, we don't buy until it has been disassembled and inspected. One to five hundred is the usual price, and nothing, if we find cracks or other serious damage. Two grand for an engine as described is at least twice what we would offer.

spqr67    -- 11-21-2012 @ 2:08 PM
  Thanks for all the great input! Really helpful for a novice getting into the hobby
Michael

1934 Ford    -- 11-22-2012 @ 7:21 AM
  Michael said the $2K engine "had neen gone through".
What does that mean? A head gasket and total repaint?
Or a total re-build like supereal described?
I bought 1915 T once that the engine "had been gone through", which tuned up to be gaskets and paint only.
Know your seller and ask why the engine is out of the vehicle. I also bought a 36 V8 engine from a friend who was making a hot rod and got to drive his car to test the engine before I bought it. It was a good one, with a Montgomery Ward rebuild tag from the 1950's and less than 10,000 miles since the rebuild.

spqr67    -- 11-22-2012 @ 12:54 PM
  @1934 - Yes, I could have been more descriptive. The engine was completely disassembled and rebuilt using all new parts. The machinist who built it specializes in race (midgets) engines has a working team that competes locally. Looks really sound and from the description was done properly.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5437