Topic: Bumper bolts to use with bumper wing tips

41SuperDeluxe    -- 11-17-2012 @ 3:05 PM
  Hello - I am fitting a set of original bumper wing tips to my 41 Super Deluxe - and found that the standard square head bolts are too short ( by at least 3/8" ) to use with the wing tips.

Basically if I try to use the standard bolts, once placed through the wing tip and bumper + bumper bracket, the bolt fits flush with the back of the wing tip - leaving no threads to start the nut.

Does anyone have any suggestions to where I can get a longer square head bolt ( to keep the original 41 appearance ) but get a longer length?

Thanks,
John

Stroker    -- 11-17-2012 @ 4:10 PM
  John: If you know someone handy with a welding torch, you can simply grind your bumper bolts to a pencil-like taper near the head, and add additional threaded bolt, or redi-bolt(also ground to a taper) by welding. I'd wrap a wet shop towel around the finished chrome "cap" to prevent overheating, but it is a simple way to extend any fastener that isn't highly-loaded such as a connecting rod bolt. I'm sure if you contacted one of the suppliers of bumper tips, they may have long enough bolts, but I'm kind of a "do it yourself" type.

supereal    -- 11-18-2012 @ 10:21 AM
  If square head bumper bolts that are 1 1/4" long will solve your problem, C&G (800/266-0470) carries them as item #11A-17758, $10 each.

This message was edited by supereal on 11-18-12 @ 11:13 AM

41-42fordadvisor    -- 11-18-2012 @ 11:50 AM
  If you need more than 1 1/4" long bumper bolts Bob Drake has the 1941 Ford bumper guard bolts that are 2 1/2" long for $60.00 for 4 bolts and the part number is 11A-17908-K. You could cut off to the length you need. Good luck Fred.

41SuperDeluxe    -- 11-20-2012 @ 3:06 PM
  Checked out the lead - Drake is on backorder - Carpenter also stated they cannot get any?? So back to square one!

If anyone has 4 nice condition square head bolts ( the long ones ) for the bumper guards - I will be happy to purchase these from you.

Please contact me on
JDRuth@att.net

Best,
John

trjford8    -- 11-21-2012 @ 7:29 AM
  Call around to other V-8 parts suppliers. They may have some in stock. Try All Ford Parts in Camnpbell, Ca., The Early Ford Store in San Dimas, Ca., or C and G Parts in Escondido, Ca. All are listed in the vendors section on the front page of this site.When the major suppliers are out of stock it doesn't mean the smaller suppliers are also out.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5425