Topic: Engine ID part 2

spqr67    -- 11-15-2012 @ 5:18 PM
  Didn't want to step on flathead48's toes so figured I'd ask my question separately.
After cracking open the top end of my '50 flathead (or so I thought), I noticed that the valve assemblies were of the rotating variety. According to the shop manual, these weren't installed until 1951.
With that in mind, I'm trying to figure out if my '50 really is a '50. The top of the block has 2 numbers stamped on the ridge of the valley. "EP67881" at the front and "67881PSCAL" on the drivers side.
Thoughts? Did I just win the auto lottery? Was it Elvis'?
Thanks in advance for all the sage wisdom
Michael

supereal    -- 11-15-2012 @ 8:29 PM
  I don't know about the "sage"part, but the last flathead was produced in 1953, and in over a half century, lots of changes were made, many with aftermarket parts. Opening up an old engine can reveal many surprises. Most stamped numbers turn out to be from rebuilders and Ford remanufacturers used to identify the source and warranty period, if any.

51f1    -- 11-16-2012 @ 2:38 PM
  I agree w/Super. Also, it's highly unlikely you have the original engine, but if you do, it could be a late '50 that had the rotating valves installed at the factory. There were really no exact dates back then that I know of for any changes to Ford cars and trucks. You may find a date in a publication for some of the changes, but someone has a car or truck that proves the exception.

By-the-way, I put a rebuilt '53 truck engine in my '51 truck. I don't know what the engine was that I replaced. From the markings on the heads, I'm pretty sure the heads were made by someone other than Ford. I don't know why anyone other than Ford would make those heads as the were little more than chunks of iron and probably cost $5.00 each back then.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 11-17-12 @ 4:35 PM

Stroker    -- 11-16-2012 @ 4:13 PM
  Let me give you an "extreme example". My 38 Ford was purchased new by my father. In 1941, he replaced the original engine with a 95 HP "truck engine". In 1948, he replaced that engine with
one of the new "8BA" truck engines. In 1952, that engine was replaced with a Merc. My sister
punched a hole in the pan in 1956, and the engine was rebuilt. In 1958, I replaced the 8BA with
a 59AB, and in 1962, I "modified" the 59AB with a cam, 3-carbs a port and relief job, and an nos 4-inch Merc. crank. In 1973, I replaced that engine with a stock 59AB. So....in attempting to tie
the motor to the chassis, who really knows what happened? So many Fords have had engine swaps over the years. In my 38's case, the original swaps were to gain horsepower to pull a two-horse trailer in a mountainous area. The later swaps were to satisfy the ego of a budding "hot rodder". If only
our cars could talk....!

spqr67    -- 11-17-2012 @ 2:45 PM
  I knew it wouldn't be an easy answer. Thanks all!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5421