Topic: Wiring the starter

gcorse    -- 11-13-2012 @ 9:20 AM
  Hello members, just joined and have some questions. I have a 32 ford 1 1/2 ton truck with B motor, 4 cyl. This was in a barn and saw lots of use in it's day. I want to try to turn the motor over with a battery. I noticed the starter post has a heavy cable soldered to it and connected to a solenoid on the firewall. I purchaseed a new solenoid and want to hook up the battery to turn the motor. I'm using + cable to ground, neg battery cable to other side of the solenoid. How do I wire a switch to the solenoid to bump the motor? Any help would be appreciated!

CharlieStephens    -- 11-13-2012 @ 12:29 PM
  You are probably not getting much response as nobody knows what type of solenoid you have and they are wired differently. How many terminals are on the solenoid and how are they marked? They are also different between 6 and 12 volts be sure you have the correct one. If it was me I would just replace the original mechanical switch. It was either mounted on the top of the starter and activated with a cable or mounted on the steering column with a rod through the floor. If you want to be able to "bump" the car from under the hood there was a 6 volt solenoid that I believe is reproduced with a button on the bottom for "bumping" from under the hood.

Charlie Stephens

supereal    -- 11-13-2012 @ 1:38 PM
  If your new solenoid has two small terminals and two large terminals, the large ones are connected, on one side, to the non-grounded side of the battery, the other to the starter motor. If you are using a starter switch (button) that grounds the wire thru the dash to the solenoid, connect one small terminal to the battery side of the solenoid, and the other to the button. If your starter button has two terminals, ground one side, and connect the other to the other small terminal on the solenoid. If your starter button has two terminals, and one goes to the starter, with the other to a battery source, connect the other small terminal on the solenoid to ground. I know this sounds complicated, but it really isn't. Replacement solenoids almost always have two small terminals so they can be used on several different configurations. As Charlie noted, be sure the voltage indication on the solenopid matches the system of your vehicle, either 6 or 12 volts.

This message was edited by supereal on 11-13-12 @ 1:40 PM

murphy1936    -- 12-06-2013 @ 5:08 PM
  I have a two post and one cable goes to starter the one on the opposite side standing on passenger side of car the other one goes to chassis ground on my 41 I believe. This is new to me first time with 40's car

murphy1936    -- 12-06-2013 @ 5:12 PM
  Oops made mistake. Looked it up, cable from negative side of battery goes to terminal post on drivers side the other one goes to starter on the passenger side of solenoid

40 Coupe    -- 12-07-2013 @ 5:31 AM
  If the old solenoid has a button on the bottom connect the battery and with the transmission in neutral and the wheels blocked or hand brake "ON" push the button and motor should turn over. Will not start this way.

JM    -- 12-07-2013 @ 6:05 AM
  Not knowing all the circumstances with your truck, I think I would consider turning that engine manually with some oil/MMO/penetrating oil in each cylinder first, before trying to crank it with the starter. This will give the cylinder walls a coating of oil and maybe allow the rings to loosen up a bit.

And OBTW...welcome to the Early Ford V-8 Club Forum! I also own a '32 1-1/2T truck

John

This message was edited by JM on 12-7-13 @ 6:14 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5415