Topic: This doesn't seem right...

flatheadfan    -- 11-12-2012 @ 11:24 PM

I recently purchased a '36 Ford and something doesn't seem right. When I pull the emergency brake lever the brake pedal depresses and the brake lights come on and stay on until the lever is released and then everything returns back to normal. So, if I needed to pull the emergency brake to keep the car from rolling (such as an incline), I would have an on-going battery drain. This is crazy. Something is out of adjustment, but where do I start??

Tom

JM    -- 11-13-2012 @ 5:53 AM
  Something is hanging up in your brake rod system where the rods from the emergency brake or the foot peddle are attached to the cross shaft. Or maybe a return spring could be broken or missing.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 11-14-12 @ 1:32 AM

supereal    -- 11-13-2012 @ 7:29 AM
  In the mechanical brake system, both the hand brake and the pedal are linked to the cross shaft. When one moves, so does the other. In turn, the brake light switch is also operated by the cross shaft, usually by a spring or link. You note that it is more properly called the "hand brake", rather than the "emergency brake". It is sometimes called the "parking brake", but seldom used for that purpose, even today.

drkbp    -- 11-15-2012 @ 5:53 PM
  That is how it is set up for '35 & '36 passenger cars. You will also notice that your brake pedal falls as you set the hand brake. Hand brake operates the service brakes. There are no separate shoes for the "parking" brake except on the trucks. I either park in gear or carry a short 6" 2x4 like I use on the Model T's and that keeps the car from rolling.

Ken in Texas

This message was edited by drkbp on 11-15-12 @ 5:59 PM

40 Coupe    -- 11-16-2012 @ 5:31 AM
  When the hand brake is operated both sides of the brake cross shaft move. On the pedal side of the cross shaft the clevis that attach to the cross shaft has a slotted holes for the clevis pin, the pin goes into the arm on the cross shaft and can move in the slotted hole allowing the cross shaft to move without moving the brake pedal or turning on the brake lights. If the slot for the clevis pin is somewhat tight, instead of the pin moving in the slot it binds and moves the pedal and that also turns on the brake lights. So you need the slotted yoke on the LH side of the cross shaft 48-2466 (clearly pictured in the green parts book) and the clevis through it has to be able to move without binding.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5414