Topic: 42-46 Carpet & Floor Mat Question

tex42    -- 11-12-2012 @ 8:21 AM
  I bought a complete interior set for my 1942 Ford Tudor from Cartouche. I’ve installed the door panels, & I’m having the seats done by a professional and I’m now in the process of putting in the carpet and floor mat. The kit from Cartouche has a 3 piece carpet set and Jute backing with a tar material on the back of the jute mate (for the carpet area). Does the jute mat go tar side down (seems as this would stick it to the floor). Also do you cut the jute to contour with the back seat raised floor pan or the kick panel?

My big question is how do you attach the carpet to keep it from sliding? Do you use some sort of fasteners?

On the front rubber mat, I see two male fasteners near the fire wall in each corner. Does a female type fastener attach to the floor mat to go over the male fasteners? Sorry for so many questions but the car had no carpet or mats in it when we got it (had been setting since 1957).
David Short

This message was edited by tex42 on 11-12-12 @ 8:23 AM

supereal    -- 11-12-2012 @ 9:59 AM
  The set for my '47 came from LeBaron-Bonney. It is taupe rubber with carpet insets for the front, and bound carpet for the rear. All of it fit without alteration, and neither had tar on the reverse or were fastened with clips. The edges of the rear carpet were held by the scuff plates. Most good quality mats are molded to fit the drive shaft tunnel, etc.

42wagon    -- 11-12-2012 @ 11:33 AM
  My comments are based on the station wagon which may be different from a sedan or coupe. The jute backing that I received from Lebaron Bonney had no tar on it. Also the remains of the original backing that I removed from the car had no tar on it either. There are no fasteners on the floor to hold the corners of the front mat. The scuff plates at the floor edge at the doors do hold the mat in place there.

41-42fordadvisor    -- 11-13-2012 @ 7:55 AM
  David the two male fasteners at the front for the front floor mat. You will need to cut a small X in the mat so that the mat is held in place at the top.Nothing goes on top of the male fasteners. I too have always used LeBaron-Bonney and have never seen tar used on the bottom of the rear carpet. I would call Cartouche and find out how to install up or down. The jute should be on the floor cut up to the contour of the back seat raised floor pan and under the kick panel. I wouldn't use jute on the back seat raised floor pan.Hope this helps GOOD LUCK. Fred

wrosenkrans    -- 11-14-2012 @ 7:09 AM
  We have a '42 Super Deluxe Tudor Sedan with an original interior. I went out and looked and there is no evidence of anything tar-like on the jute backing. The front fasteners just poke through the mat. The rear carpet is contoured the way 42advisor indicated with no jute on the raised portion. Let me know if I can send you pictures of anything,

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5411