Topic: Exhaust System Tech Question

toms32    -- 11-06-2012 @ 11:51 AM
  I recently purchased a 1936 Ford Coupe.Th eengine is a 49-53 Ford Truck engine probably out of a Pickup. By checking around it appears to have 46 ford truck exhaust manifolds. I would like to keep the exhaust systme as original as possible. Can i use a 46 to 46 Truck cross over pipe and then a standard passenger side 36 pipe or do i need to use the 46 Pickup right side pipe to go to the rear.Any suggestions from someone that have a later flathead in a 36 Coupe. I have attached two photo's of the current exhaust headers in my car.

Stroker    -- 11-06-2012 @ 12:03 PM
  If you wish the exhaust to be "original" to the 36, you can use 36 manifolds and head
pipe for a 36. All 32-53 manifolds will bolt up to your block, and I'm sure you would
like to get rid of that header pipe that is exiting outside the frame rail. The stock
pipe will tuck in alongside the starter and pass through a hole in your x-member.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-06-2012 @ 1:20 PM
  HI
I had a 37 truck with a 49-53 engine,and used the complete exhaust from a 37-41 FORD,
The crossover pipe had to be made longer to meet underneath, the block is bigger then the earlier engine,
this if my memory serve me correctly,
also you could or might consider going to dual exhaust would is the way to go,
using headers, and have a custom exhaust shop make you
the front pipes and tailpipes
will have more pep and sounds great,
hope this helps, KEEP ON FORDIN, 37RAGTOPMAN

Stroker    -- 11-06-2012 @ 7:19 PM
  There are no differences in external dimensions on a 32-48, and a 49-53 block except the length, which is the depth of the adapter ring on the later block. So....basically they the same in overall length from transmission mounting flange to the face of the timing gear cover. And, they are the same width. A stock 36 cross-over pipe should work, given that the exhaust manifolds are the same distance apart. 56 years ago, I had a 49 Mercury motor in my 38. I had
to move the radiator forward about 1/2 inch to clear the fan, but I don't recall any other
dimensional issues with the exhaust. Of course it wasn't long before I stuck a set of Belond
headers on it to make it "sound better" as Leon states.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5392