Topic: 1941 body type?

Jim Dojan    -- 11-05-2012 @ 9:57 AM
  I have a 1941 2 door coupe. The body code plate on the firewall has been plated over and unreadable. I have found the serial number stamped in the left frame, 18-6112632. My car has a back seat, rear windows hinge open, front wing windows crank open. it had a hot air heater, windshield washers, radio, end caps on the bumper ends,and license plate guard. Do I have a coupe model. or a Tudor series? Can anyone identify by serial number, or other info. Thanks

supereal    -- 11-05-2012 @ 1:04 PM
  The prefix 18 means it is a "prewar" car. The remainder of the numbers shown are serial production numbers showing the place in production sequence. From your description, I would say you have a Super Deluxe Sedan Coupe. The type would be 11A-72B. My reference shows that 45,977 were produced in 1941. Only the wood bodied cars, the station wagon and, later, in 1946, the Sportsman, carried body plates. You may find a "patent plate" on the engine side of the firewall of some cars that have meaning, such as plant code, but most are useless. For lots of interesting information on your car, I recommend the Club's excellent "41-'48 Ford Book". Every owner of a Ford of those years should have one.

42wagon    -- 11-05-2012 @ 2:44 PM
  Just a followup expanding on what Supereal has told you.

The serial number was just that. It started with engine 18-1 in 1932 and continued up until sometime after the war. When the engine and transmission were assembled as a unit at the Rouge engine plant the number was stamped on the top of the transmission case. When the engine was installed in a frame the number was transferred to the left frame rail. It is nothing more the an engine number and gives none of the code information that we are used to from modern cars.

Except for the station wagons no body number code appeared on any car in 1941. The plate you refer to that has been painted over is a patent plate. It was important to Ford but it has no meaning to the rest of us. Station Wagon bodies were built at the Iron Mountain Michigan plant and were stamped with a number by year. This is stamped directly on the firewall, not on a separate plate.

To determine if your body is a coupe or tudor it would be helpful to see a picture.

trjford8    -- 11-06-2012 @ 12:55 PM
  I agree that you have a sedan coupe. The swing out rear windows are typical of the sedan coupe. If you had a tudor sedan the rear windows would roll down. All 41's had wing windows. You do have a pretty good list of 41 accessories. The heater, windshield washers(very rare), radio, bumper wing tips, and license guard all Ford accessories.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5387