Topic: Steering Column Collar Removal

V8JR    -- 11-04-2012 @ 9:48 PM
  How does one remove a 1939 steering column collar that contains the lock cylinder and on/off lock/Ignition lever? It looks like a pin of some sort connects the collar but no provision to remove the pin securing the two halves. Thanks for any help/info - 39 Jim

kubes40    -- 11-05-2012 @ 5:05 AM
  Hi Jim,
That "pin" you are referring to is actually a bolt. It was intended to twist off upon installation.
Thus, you will need to drill it out. I strongly advise patience here. Use a center drill to start the hole and proceed with a small diameter drill bit.

JM    -- 11-05-2012 @ 5:36 PM
  The way I would suggest removing that break off bolt in the column drop would be to create a screwdriver slot in the head of the bolt by drilling a series of small holes across the center of the bolt head. I use a 1/16" diameter drill bit and drill the holes ~ 3/32" deep. Leave a small amount of material between each hole as you drill across the bolt head. Then come back and drill the webbing away between each hole making a slot. Then using a hand held impact driver fitted with a flat blade screwdriver bit attachment, impact the bolt in the direction that will loosen it in the drop. Then completely remove the bolt with a hand held flat blade screwdriver. I reuse those slotted head bolts when I put the column drop back together.

JM

JM    -- 11-05-2012 @ 5:42 PM
  Delete duplicate post

This message was edited by JM on 11-5-12 @ 5:48 PM

V8JR    -- 11-05-2012 @ 9:16 PM
  Thanks guys for the help - I'll se what I can do - 39 Jim

Henryat1140    -- 11-06-2012 @ 3:56 AM
  Have to say JM's method is a good one. He drilled and slotted the bolt on our car as described and it worked perfectly.

Having good light, a firm hold in the vise, a good center punch and sharp drills helps too.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5384