Topic: engine idle speed

Wolfie    -- 11-04-2012 @ 7:05 PM
  Lately my engine when warmed up runs at a fast idle. I grind in all gears and I think it is because of the idle. I can return the idle to normal by pulling the accelerator with my foot or by pulling the throttle lever quickly. The accelerator return spring seems very strong and carpeting doesn't seem to interfere with accelerator movement. The accelerator pump is set on #2 winter position which may not be right because the weather is usually in the 70 degree range. Any ideas on what may cause this to happen?

alanwoodieman    -- 11-04-2012 @ 7:29 PM
  look to see if your throttle rod is an aftermarket adjustable one-if so shorten the rod. also look to see if the carb linkages are free and operate smoothly with the linkages disconnected

Wolfie    -- 11-04-2012 @ 8:30 PM
  Alan, I haven't done that yet and will try that tomorrow. Thanks and I'll let you know what I find our.

Alan, I haven't done that yet and will try that tomorrow. Thanks and I'll let you know what I find our.

Old Henry    -- 11-04-2012 @ 9:05 PM
  Just wondering if you've done that yet?????

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

supereal    -- 11-05-2012 @ 9:32 AM
  The usual problem with a lazy throttle return is the spring on the throttle shaft at the firewall. The replacement, 48-9737, is $6 at C&G. This spring gets a lot of use, and may look good, but eventually loses its tension. I've seen more than one old Ford with a piece of screen door spring attached to the throttle linkage to fix the problem. Also, be sure the two eye bolts that hold the shaft to the firewall are in position and not binding the shaft..

Wolfie    -- 11-05-2012 @ 5:24 PM
  I took the throttle rod off and it wasn't adjustable. The return spring did seem weak. I resorted to Super's comment on the screen door spring but used a bungee cord and it returned the idle to normal all the time on a short ride. I'll replace the return spring. I'm still getting some grinding when shifting so I'll adjust the clutch too.

Wolfie    -- 11-05-2012 @ 5:24 PM
  I took the throttle rod off and it wasn't adjustable. The return spring did seem weak. I resorted to Super's comment on the screen door spring but used a bungee cord and it returned the idle to normal all the time on a short ride. I'll replace the return spring. I'm still getting some grinding when shifting so I'll adjust the clutch too.

Wolfie    -- 11-05-2012 @ 5:25 PM

supereal    -- 11-06-2012 @ 12:34 PM
  An idle speed above 500 rpm will produce gear grinding, too. Using 140 weight oil in the transmission also helps, as it slows down the cluster a bit between gear shifts. I suspect the problem will diminish when you get your throttle problem fixed.

Wolfie    -- 12-06-2012 @ 8:56 PM
  I changed the accelerator return spring today and took the car for a drive and my problem was cured. That was the fix, it was easy to do, and the spring was $6.00. Now I need to adjust the idle. What is the recommended idle speed? Thanks for the help!

TomO    -- 12-07-2012 @ 7:48 AM
  450 - 500 RPM for a standard transmission.

Tom

supereal    -- 12-11-2012 @ 9:46 AM
  Without a tachometer, the best way to set the idle speed is to lower it with the throttle shaft adjuster until the engine begins to lope, then increase it until a steady idle is reached. Usually, some minor adjustment of the carb's two idle needles is necessary to accomplish a good idle.

Wolfie    -- 12-11-2012 @ 7:49 PM
  Thanks Super, I will try that.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5383