Topic: 1940 Ford Convertible top - frame alignment

Olyn    -- 11-03-2012 @ 4:28 PM
  I have just had my 1940 Ford convertible re-fitted with a new top yet the frame for the top does not align on the passenger side with the pin for the top latch on this corner. It is off by almost 1 1/2" for some odd reason. The convertible frame was removed prior to having the canvas installed so that it could be refurbished. The top installer had to grind off at least half of the pin for it to catch and now it catches by only the slimmest of margins. Is there any way to adjust the top and/or latches left to right?? Or did I just get a bad latch for this side as I had ordered new ones via Bob Drake Reproductions. The center pin/latch is fine and so is the drivers side/corner. The front wooden bow is the same as before and I did not have this problem with the old top's frame and latches. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

kubes40    -- 11-03-2012 @ 7:01 PM
  If the top mechanism fit before it was refurbished there is absolutely NO reason it should not fit after it was refurbished.
It is apparent that the guy that installed the top canvas did so prior to being certain the mechanism was installed and operating correctly.
With the new canvas in place there is little you can do to adjust out a full 1 1/2". Any adjustments you make after the fact will only compound problems in other areas. stretching the canvas so taut as to gain 1 1/2" will most certainly effect your door gaps / alignment. The cowl WILL move.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is major...

supereal    -- 11-04-2012 @ 11:15 AM
  Anyone who grinds off convertible top frame parts to "make them fit" is an idiot, and shouldn't be allowed near a top replacement. A vital step in putting on a new top is adjusting the eccentric bolts in the mechanism so the frame drops onto the header pins evenly and completely before the canvas is installed. As you say you had the top frame apart to "refurbish" it, it is very likely those bolts were removed during the process, requiring complete readjustment. Very small adjustments make a big change in the position of the frame. As Mike says, there is a cowl adjustment, but if you fool with it to make the top fit, the doors will likely not close, so it is best to leave it alone if your doors fit now. It may be too late to have the top repaired by someone who actually knows what they are doing. As I have frequently mentioned here over the years, putting on a new convertible top is not a "do it yourself" job, and any mistakes usually render the result worthless. There is a very good reason a good auto trim shop gets big bucks to do it correctly. If they screw it up, it is their problem.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5377