Topic: Mundane Stuff - Insurance

slyck14    -- 11-02-2012 @ 4:16 PM
  I'm currently with American Collector's Insurance for my two classics. Renewal is due by the end of the month. I have been less than excited by the service. What other oprions are out there...any member recommendations???

If that crosses any lines, please respond to me privately.

Joe Syslo
Fort Worth, Texas
1946 Ford Business Coupe
1934 Ford Coupe Hot Rod

flathead4rd    -- 11-02-2012 @ 5:03 PM
  I like Haggerty. Others will probably chime in here on this also. You can get an assured value and prety much drive it anytime you want.

40guy    -- 11-02-2012 @ 5:26 PM
  I've been with Haggerty's now for 16 years. Very satisfied.

supereal    -- 11-02-2012 @ 7:46 PM
  Me, too. Good rates and service to match!

slyck14    -- 11-02-2012 @ 8:18 PM
  Thanks, Guys. I'm gonna take a look at Haggetty. Just a note about the photo. I've been a Vette guy for years, so after I got my '34, the first opportunity I had to go to a Vette gathering, I took the Street Rod. It was the talk of the meeting and the compliments over the blown Flathead were nonstop!!!

Joe Syslo
Fort Worth, Texas
1946 Ford Business Coupe
1934 Ford Coupe Hot Rod

Old Henry    -- 11-02-2012 @ 9:54 PM
  4 years ago I shopped all of the different companies specializing in classic car insurance and picked ANPAC "Chrome" mainly because they had the highest annual mileage limit (was 5,000 then, now 10,000). Don't know if that's so much different from others now. Here it is if you want to check it out: http://www.anpac.com/classic-car-insurance/

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 11-2-12 @ 9:58 PM

51f1    -- 11-03-2012 @ 3:45 AM
  I like Hagerty.

Richard

40cpe    -- 11-03-2012 @ 7:01 AM
  "picked ANPAC "Chrome" mainly because they had the highest annual mileage limit (was 5,000 then, now 10,000)."

years ago when Sneed, Robinson and Gerber got out of this insurance segment they turned their business over to ANPAC, or American National. I called asking about driving coverage and was told in no uncertain terms that the driving coverage was to/from car shows or organized events. They didn't even allow stopping at a restaurant or other stops to/from the event. Maybe ANPAC has changed their policy, but i talked to Haggerty, liked what I heard, bought their policy, and haven't looked back.

This message was edited by 40cpe on 11-3-12 @ 1:32 PM

trjford8    -- 11-03-2012 @ 9:56 AM
  I've been using Grundy. It's hard to comment about how good a company may be until you have a claim.So far I have not had a claim(actually hope I don't have to file one), but I know others who have filed and had good luck with the adjusters and service.

oldford2    -- 11-03-2012 @ 3:00 PM
  I have been with J C Taylor for 20 plus years. Never had a claim until last year when driving the 46 Ford out of my shop and around to the front of the house one of the d*mn suicide doors open and caught on the fence. Pulled the door back into the rear fender. I was sick because it was a stupid mistake on my part. Anyway I called Taylor and they said an adjuster would contact me which he did later in the day. Asked me to email pictures and a description of what happened. Next day he called and said to get an appraisal which I did that day and my appraisal shop faxed their estimate ($2,300). The next day he called and said the check was in the mail. Now, that was great service so I recommend J C Taylor.
John

Old Henry    -- 11-03-2012 @ 5:15 PM
  40cpe: "years ago when Sneed, Robinson and Gerber got out of this insurance segment they turned their business over to ANPAC, or American National. I called asking about driving coverage and was told in no uncertain terms that the driving coverage was to/from car shows or organized events. They didn't even allow stopping at a restaurant or other stops to/from the event."

When I first bought ANPAC's Chrome policy you could pick how many miles to drive each year and pay accordingly. There was coverage as limited as you have described for less than what I paid to drive 5,000 miles per year (now 10,000). I do a lot of road trips so I need that kind of coverage. If you don't drive so much you don't need so much and probably have a wider selection for less than what I pay.

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 11-3-12 @ 6:18 PM

joe b    -- 11-04-2012 @ 5:29 AM
  I also have ANPAC Chrome. I had one claim about a month after I got the policy. I had to have the '41 brought home on a rollback, some 50 miles. I called the agent and faxed him the bill and got the check in 2 days. I also like the fact that I have a local agent. By local I mean he is about 40 miles away but in my state. When I decided to use them he came to the house,took lot's of photos of the car. I showed him an appraisal I had done on the car about 7 years ago. He accepted it and added a good bit of money to it for my policy. I am pleased with them.

supereal    -- 11-04-2012 @ 10:55 AM
  I bought my Hagerty coverage thru my usual local agent. That way, I can call them if I have a claim. This has worked out well. One thing to remember when buying old vehicle insurance: be sure to get "agreed value" coverage. It does take some doing, photos, etc, but is very important if theft or destruction by fire, etc, happens. Otherwise, the determination of reimbursement will be from sources you may disagree with, and likely be considerably less than your actual investment. Having receipts and other records regarding your car bolsters your view of value. This came in handy when my '47 was rear ended a couple of years ago. The total cost of repair was a bit over $2,700 and with the proof, there was no delay in receiving payment.

Old Henry    -- 11-04-2012 @ 1:02 PM
  The "agreed value" provision was another reason I chose ANPAC's Chrome policy. They would accept any agreed value up to $15,000 without any appraisal and did on mine.

Old Henry

51f1    -- 11-04-2012 @ 5:02 PM
  I got $20,000 "agreed value" from Hagerty w/o any appraisal. There was never any discussion of an appraisal.

Richard

Olyn    -- 11-04-2012 @ 5:58 PM
  Just curious as to what type of blower set-up you went with on the 34? I have a 1940 convertible and was thinking of switching out the Thickstun pm7 aluminum high-rise intake w/2 97 Strombergs over to a blower. I have heard the ScOT blower system by H & H Flatheads is good, yet $$$$$. Thank you. Your 34 looks beautiful!!

slyck14    -- 11-07-2012 @ 1:01 PM
  Olyn, the blower is a Weiand 142. It was part of a kit from Roadrunner Engineering in Albuqurque. The original flathead is a 1950 reman.

Joe Syslo
Fort Worth, Texas
1946 Ford Business Coupe
1934 Ford Coupe Hot Rod

ivfd4    -- 11-08-2012 @ 1:18 PM
  I had Hagerty on a 54 Chevy custom with an agreed value of $17,000. It caught fire on October 30th, 2007. The claim wasnt settled until january 2008. One delay after another. In January, when they confirmed they were totaling it, they told me my premium refund would only be retroactive to the date that the claim was finally settled which could still be another few weeks. I had kept pretty detailed records of who I talked to and when. I then sent a letter documenting the delays and they agreed to make my refund retroactive to the date of the loss (Oct 30). When I bought my next car, a 40 Ford sedan, Grundy gave me the same coverage at half the cost. But I have had no claims since then.

TonyM    -- 11-08-2012 @ 1:33 PM
  I went with my carrier for over 30 years--State Farm. Cheaper than the specialty firms and with pretty much the same coverage/restrictions including agreed value. Half the price of Hagerty.

78-73B

oakhurst    -- 11-09-2012 @ 9:27 AM
  I've been with Haggerty for five years. This year a truck I was building rolled off a trailer into another car in the shop. Haggerty sent an adjuster out and paid over $5K to the owner of the damaged car. There was no damage to my truck. I will stay with Haggerty.

c-gor    -- 11-10-2012 @ 2:09 PM
  I have been with JC Taylor since 1982. Had 2 claims. One (1992)was for a set of stolen Mullins hubcaps. Cost me $1200 to replace them. Claim paid without any problems. Second (1996) was when I picked up a large stone tha was thrown from a truck. Damaged rear fender. Had fender repaired without any problems. Drove vehicle from Ohio to Hood River Oregon in 2004. Notified JC Taylor that I was driving there. They approved the additional mileage without any issues.

Big Red 51    -- 11-10-2012 @ 2:58 PM
  Joy, Hagerty has been very good to me for the past 13 years. I had a car paint damaged last year by enclosed hauler who balked at fixing. I informed Hagerty, not expecting any action, and they opened a claim and had a rep out next day. They paid for having the bottom half of my '53 Vic stripped and painted. Great service and great paint job.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5376