Topic: Best Head Gaskets-36 85 HP

DEAN333    -- 11-02-2012 @ 12:08 PM
  Who is recommended for the best head and intake manifold gaskets? I have a 36 with 21 stud 85HP
Mac's has 'em for $19 and C&G has 'em $36 and $42 for copper head gaskets. Both have the intake for about
$11. Should I replace the valve stem seals at this time too? I'm not having any drivability issues, just some oil leaks at the back of the heads. [want to paint the heads correctly when they're off, replacing the intake manifold with correct one].

TIM CARLIG

supereal    -- 11-02-2012 @ 3:14 PM
  We have used both from C&G (we don't buy from Mac's), but I know both types work well. We tend to stay away from copper gaskets when used with alumimun heads to lessen electrolysis. Ford didn't use valve stem seals until the 8BA days, but you can get a set of guide retainer seals from C&G (8BA-6571) for $3. If the engine is running well, I wouldn't disturb the valves. It is unlikely that any oil leaks at the rear of the head are related to the head gaskets, but could be due to the intake manifold gasket or pump stand gasket. C&G shows the intake gasket, 40-6521, (32-48) as $12. Also check for oil arpound the oil pressure sender. If the oil is coming from the hole in the bottom of the clutch housing, and not running down the outside, it could be a leaking gasket around the oil pump drive gear cover, or from the rear main. If you are using 5 quarts of oil, instead of 4, it will swamp the rear main slinger and seal and leak until the oil level drops. We use a paint designed for engines, as regular paint is likely to peel. Be sure that the head surface is absolutely clean before applying paint of any kind, and cover the spark plug holes.

40 Coupe    -- 11-03-2012 @ 4:21 AM
  Ford made a good head gasket and they are still available. Ford did not use any "valve stem seals" in the flatheads since the valve head is up and not down the seals are unnecessary. There is no oil passing through the heads, so any oil leak at the rear of the heads may be coming from either the intake or the fuel pump stand. If your engine is running well there may be no need to remove the heads, or the intake manifold. The fuel pump stands to the intake manifold do leak so look to replace these gaskets and use some black RTV to seal.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5375