Topic: WWW 1936 tires? Belted? Radial?

Grant    -- 10-30-2012 @ 9:22 AM
  What is the correct size of wide whitewall tires for a '36 roadster ?

Which manufacturer would have supplied tires for new Ford passenger vehicles at that time ?

Would radial tires be better and/or safer than the old style belted tires ?

Is there a points deduction made by concourse judges when a car appears on the field with radials ?

Can anyone recommend a brand or retailer based upon their experience with recently purchased tires ?

ford38v8    -- 10-30-2012 @ 10:37 AM
  Grant, The nearest to original in a new tire today is made by Coker Tire in Chattanooga. They have original Firestone molds, purchased years ago from Firestone of Argentina. The tread pattern on these tires is not as came on new Fords, this pattern being a Service Replacement.
There were white sidewalls available, although blacks were the usual choice, unlike what is popular today. In 1936, white sidewalls were double whites, inside and out. The width was 31/4" - 3 1/2", depending on manufacturer. Firestone, Goodrich, and Ford Script was available in 1936, all sized 6.00 x 16"
Radial tires were not available, but you can get a comparable radial today with a wide white. On the Concourse, radials will cause a point deduction. They are not considered a safety item as seatbelts are, as the early Fords did noty have safety rims, and radials do need tubes in non-safety rims.
There are other tire manufacturers from which you can get your tires, but Coker is by far the most patronized by owners of early Fords, as they can supply Firestone, Excelsior, Ford Script, Goodrich, and their own label Coker.

Coker Tire www.cokertire.com
Classic and collector tires

Alan

Don Rogers    -- 10-30-2012 @ 3:16 PM
  Alan, Just a note of clarification: Ford script tires were not produced by Ford until Jan, 1938. I also believe that Goodyear and Uniroyal were suppliers to Ford in addition to Firestone and Goodrich in 1936.

ford38v8    -- 10-30-2012 @ 5:50 PM
  Thank you, Don, I hadn't known that. I think the Ford Script ended with the '42 model, did it not?

Alan

trjford8    -- 10-30-2012 @ 6:32 PM
  Grant, if the point deduction is not of concern, it's my opinion that the radials steer easier and give a better ride. Some of the people in my RG are using the Diamondback Classic radials. The Diamondback tires are based on a Cooper casing.
It might be prudent to contact a fellow V-8er who has radials on their car and take a ride or drive it for comparison.

Don Rogers    -- 10-30-2012 @ 8:48 PM
  Yes, Alan. I believe that the last tires were produced in Dec of 1942. I also believe that the plant and equipment was then dismanteled and returned to Firestone.(Harvey's Chief Design Engineer had been on loan to Mr. Ford to help him build his tire factory in 1937)

42guy    -- 10-31-2012 @ 4:44 PM
  I have the Diamondback radials on my 42 with 15" safety rims. The ride change was great and the handling vastly improved.
Not worried about points cause don't enter judging,just drive to have fun.

Grant    -- 11-01-2012 @ 12:27 PM
  Thank you, gentlemen.

We are running belted tires on a '50, two '51s and a '52.

Maybe this time a set of radials would be a good idea. Nonetheless I do really like the look of the old-style Firestones and Goodyears.

ford1ford    -- 11-01-2012 @ 1:15 PM
  I have been running Diamondback radials on my 35 for 7 yrs now.they are great.Night and day in the handling. don't forget thats why they are used buy auto manufacturers. you can go to any tire dealer and get black walls cheap.

1934 Ford    -- 11-01-2012 @ 5:13 PM
  The good and bad of the belted or radial question:
I have one car with belted, one with radials and they get about the same usage.
The one with belted tires goes on Glidden Tours and other AACA Tour around the country every year. The tires are Coker Firestone 6.50X16 with wide whites.
They are 9 years old and need to be replaced due to tread wear.
The other car had diamondback radials that are 5 years old and look like new, but are also ready to be replaced. That car has A?C and was used during the hot months in Florida to get my wife to go with me.
The first set lasted 6 years and came apart, just like all radial tires. They die from age, with 6 years being about the maximum safe usage.
Summary: I like the ride of the radials, but I like the longevity of the belted tires.
For drivers, I prefer the radials, for my wallet, I prefer the belted tires.

TomO    -- 11-02-2012 @ 7:31 AM
  I like your 34 Sedan, but I believe the tires are just bias ply without belts. You are right on with the life of the tires, the bias ply have a longer life if kept properly inflated.

Tom

1934 Ford    -- 11-02-2012 @ 6:17 PM
  Correct! I typed belted while meaning bias-ply. My fingers are slower than tmy brain and sometimes I get ahead of my self.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5361