Topic: 37 passenger sealed beam conversion kit

zeker8    -- 10-29-2012 @ 9:53 AM
  I have what I think is a 37 passenger headlight sealed beam conversion kit. I'm not sure I have all parts, what I do need is a set of instructions for these kits. I think it was an Electroline kit it will set up like a 40. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Zeke

keith oh    -- 10-29-2012 @ 2:24 PM
  In my experiance,putting a sealed beam unit behind the regular lens will not give as bright a light as a good original set of silvered reflectors and proper bulbs.

sturgis 39    -- 11-01-2012 @ 3:44 AM
  I have a conversion for my 39 Ford two door standard. They are kind of cool. They do not use the original lens. They kind of look like 40 Ford headlights. I think there are only two pieces in the original kit. There is a backing plate with notches and the headlight housing.I think there might be some springs and screws. The kits are on e-bay sometimes and someone said they use to sell them at gas stations. Everything fits in the original holes. You will have to buy two seal beams bulbs and a plug in for the seal beams. I think you can use the light harness for a forty Ford which will have the headlight plug in.

IF IT CAN NOT BE FIXED WITH BLASTING WIRE, DUCT TAPE OR JB WELD - IT CAN NOT BE FIXED

supereal    -- 11-01-2012 @ 7:20 AM
  I agree with Keith. Be aware that sealed beams draw more current than just bulbs, and the wiring, switches, and associated connectors must be in good condition, or the headlights will be dim.

trjford8    -- 11-01-2012 @ 7:34 AM
  In addition to Bob's advice I would use a relay with the sealed beams.

Stroker    -- 11-01-2012 @ 8:42 AM
  From about 1946 to the mid seventies, our 38 had the conversion "doors". I never liked the looks, and in the early days of Hemmings, was able to find enough parts to properly replace them.

While grating to those of us who like the original look, the sealed beam set-up was certainly a simple solution for a daily driver, and very easy to change bulbs, since there were no gaskets, trim rings or lenses to deal with. It was a great improvement, but today
we would consider that it detracts from the "Zephyresque" styling of the 37-39's.

At one time, I had the wild idea of making a mold and vacuum forming a clear Plexiglass replacement for the original glass lenses. This would have allowed a sealed-beam to be covered with a stock appearing cover. At the time,(late 60's)I found out that was frowned by the Federal Auto Equipment & Safety Regulations. Of course today, everything new has clear lenses over multifocal reflectors.

supereal    -- 11-01-2012 @ 10:17 AM
  Thanks, Tom. I made up a relay board for the halogen headlights on my car. I used a pair of 6 volt starter solenoids, which have worked very well and caused the headlights to be about twice as bright as before. The original wiring was insufficient for the load when it was new, and age hasn't helped it. If anyone wants the diagram, I'll be happy to share it. I'm in the process of designing a similar relay system to operate the top pump on my convertible, which is very slow. I have an aftermarket pump mounted ahead of the spare tire, and at six volts, the wiring just can't handle the load well enough to make moving the top quickly. I have an alternator on that car, as a generator couldn't keep up. Those with the old style 3 brush units usually can't handle sealed beams, in any case.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5358