Topic: 36 club cabriolet opinion request

MICHV8    -- 10-29-2012 @ 9:21 AM
  I'm trying to educate myself on open Fords and am curious what you guys think about the club cabriolet vs the cabriolet. I realize the club was far lower production numbers, but does just that fact make it more desireable on the market or is the rear seat seen as awkward syling? Just asking...

trjford8    -- 10-29-2012 @ 10:58 AM
  Out here on the left coast most V-8ers prefer the regular cabriolet. The extra long top on the club cabriolet is not the best in the way of styling. Although this may offend some 40 convertible owners, the 36 does look a lot better than the 40. A 40 convertible is a great looking car as long as the top is down.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 10-29-12 @ 11:01 AM

ford38v8    -- 10-29-2012 @ 9:43 PM
  I agree with Tom, and will cite a couple of practical concerns:
The Club Cab is a bear to drive, as the blind spot is really scary.
The Cab is inconvenient to access for luggage, but the quantity you can carry concealed is greater.
And the Cab has a rumbleseat, which is reason enough all by itself!

Alan

Model B    -- 10-30-2012 @ 8:49 AM
  Tom & Alan....You guys are killing me! I kinda like the styling of the Club Cabby. Although, like Alan stated, a "bear" to drive with the top up. That's what the back seat is for...Two more sets of eyeballs to help you back into a parking spot! lol Pat

trjford8    -- 10-30-2012 @ 6:22 PM
  Pat, if you don't have the extra set of eyes then you can park by the "touch and feel" method!

supereal    -- 10-30-2012 @ 7:36 PM
  Every convertible I've owed is a "bear" to drive with the top up. The corrrect outside mirrors, particularly the passenger side, are not helpful. I can see why the later ragtops adopted the large rear window as opposed to the small one common until the 50's. Open cars are great fun with the top down, but require considerable caution otherwise, and a set of highly visible turn signals and a bright third stoplight to prevent traffic trouble

ford38v8    -- 10-30-2012 @ 7:46 PM
  Yes, Bob, we all remember how your 3rd stoplight kept you out of trouble!

Alan

supereal    -- 10-30-2012 @ 8:10 PM
  It isn't idiot proof, Alan.. The guy who rear ended me said "he was so busy admiring my car that he "forgot to stop"! If it hadn't been for my LED third stop light, I'm sure it would have been worse, or at least the cops said so.

Henryat1140    -- 11-03-2012 @ 3:33 PM
  Here's my 2c.

After a banner sales year in 1935, Ford sales still lagged behind Chev*rolet in '36.

The current slantback style was dated.

In order to invigorate sales, in the spring of '36 a number of changes were made, and introduction of the Club Cabriolet was only one piece of the puzzle.

The entire line received restyled doorhandles, woodgrain dash, brighter colors, Banjo steering wheel and probably other refreshes.

The convertible sedan was restyled to include a trunk and the Club Cabriolet was introduced. If you look at these models you can see a lot of the upcoming '37 styling emerging.

Meanwhile, at Lincoln, the Zephyr was a completely new model. Many of the styling cues from the Zephyr were incorporated into the '37 Ford look.

As to which is more desirable, my observation is the regular Cabriolet is more popular. Prices brought though are more likely to hinge on car condition than a distinction between the Club Cabriolet and the regular model.

That's my take, others may have differing points of view. If you disagree, fire away!

Regards

Henry

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5357