Topic: 1941 Ford License Bracket

Number29rick    -- 10-29-2012 @ 7:42 AM
  Hello,

I have a 1941 Ford Deluxe Coupe. It currently does not have a front license plate bracket. From what I have been able to determine there are two different styles of bumpers for 1941, the ribbed Super Deluxe and the more plain style used on the Deluxe. I have seen many pictures of the Super Deluxe with a special bracket that places the license plate in the center. I have also seen the license plate off to the side on the Deluxe model. I have the plain style bumper on my deluxe. Therefore, as best I can tell I need the bracket that mounts to the side. I am I correct in this? Can someone give me more detail on this Super Deluxe vs Deluxe license front license plate design information?

41-42fordadvisor    -- 10-29-2012 @ 9:34 AM
  You have a real nice looking 1941 Ford Deluxe Coupe. You are correct that the 1941 Ford Deluxe front license plate bracket is mounted to the right side. The 1941 Super Deluxe bumper was used on only the 1941 Super Deluxe and 1942 Deluxe and Special. The 1941 Deluxe bumper is similar in style to the 1940 Ford bumper. It was used on the 1941 Deluxe and Special. The license plate bracket is part number 11A-5034 and bolts to the right outer bumper arm. This bracket was only used on 1941 Ford Deluxe and Special models. If you need this bracket you could try calling Mark Kicsak at 607-729-1693 and he lives in Binghamton, New York. He parts out 1941-1948 Ford cars.

Number29rick    -- 10-29-2012 @ 9:56 AM
  Thanks 41-42 Ford Advisor,

I was hoping that you would chime in on this. I appreciated your detailed information clarifying the differences in those front license plate brackets. I want to get the correct bracket. I will call Mark to see if he has one.

Thanks for the compliment on the car. I am planning on removing the fender trim, spotlamps, Fog lights, bumper wings and grill guard. I prefer a more plain jane look that is associated with period photos on the more pedestrian Deluxe model. Less is more...so they say.

Thank you for your time,

Rick Reardon

trjford8    -- 10-29-2012 @ 10:53 AM
  Make sure you bumper iron has the holes drilled in it for the bracket. Trying to drill holes in spring steel bumper iron can be a real challenge.

Number29rick    -- 10-29-2012 @ 11:43 AM
  Wouldn't this spring steel bracket have come from the factory with the holes pre drilled? If not, was it the dealer that drilled the holes to accomodate those states that required a front plate? Where would those holes be? Do the holes run perpendicular or parallel to the lenghth of the car? Do you have a closeup picture of this? Inquiring minds wanna know.

Thanks for your time.

Rick

trjford8    -- 10-29-2012 @ 7:27 PM
  The right outer bumper iron would be pre-drilled for the bracket.The holes for the bracket would run parallel to the upper and lower edges of the bracket. If you know someone with a 40 ford you will get an idea of the mounting holes. According to the V-8 Club's 41-48 Ford book, Ford discontinued mounting a front license bracket in March 1946. If you have the big green book (Ford parts book) there is a drawing of the 41 standard bumper, irons and license bracket on page 689.

trjford8    -- 10-29-2012 @ 7:28 PM
  The right outer bumper iron would be pre-drilled for the bracket.The holes for the bracket would run parallel to the upper and lower edges of the bracket. If you know someone with a 40 ford you will get an idea of the mounting holes. According to the V-8 Club's 41-48 Ford book, Ford discontinued mounting a front license bracket in March 1946. If you have the big green book (Ford parts book) there is a drawing of the 41 standard bumper, irons and license bracket on page 689.

Number29rick    -- 10-31-2012 @ 6:36 AM
  I looked at the passender side outer front bumper iron. Yes indeed, there are two holes that run parallel to the ground on the curved surface of the iron. Now that I see that I have the mounting holes I will look for a clean bracket and put that restored 1941 Cal Plate on the front. Pomona Swap meet here I come.

trjford8    -- 10-31-2012 @ 7:17 PM
  I suspect that the 40 license bracket may fit.

tbirdhandyman    -- 01-16-2013 @ 1:39 PM
  Hi Number29rick, Did you ever find the front license bracket that you needed? I have one and also a period photo of a '41 Ford Deluxe coupe. It also has the dealer installed fender trim like yours. The Deluxe had black painted fender grilles, and no stainless trim around the windshield. I restored and drove a '41 Opera Coupe for 32 years, and still love the '41's. Regards, Robert E.

Tbirdhandyman

Formbyln    -- 06-08-2023 @ 5:31 AM
  Rick,

I see this is a very old post, but I am in search of a pair of bumpers and brackets for my newly acquired 1941 Ford Super Deluxe convertible... Any suggestions (11 years later)? LOL

Thanks,

Lou Formby

kubes40    -- 06-08-2023 @ 5:57 AM
  Yes, I have a suggestion... place this in the "parts wanted" section to increase the chances of someone seeing it.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

41fatty    -- 06-09-2023 @ 8:47 AM
  my 41 deluxe coupe actually has a 3rd hole to locate a plate closer or further from the grille depending on the size of the plate

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5356