Topic: Values hitting Heads

sally    -- 10-27-2012 @ 5:19 PM
  A few weeks back I posted a question regarding "pinging". My 1935 Ford (flathead) blew a head gasket, so I pulled the heads and had them re-surfaced. After re-installing them I experienced a loud pinging when the car was under load. Those of you that responded to my post/question replied by saying that the values were likely hitting the head(s).
I am getting ready to pull the heads once again and once I do so I was going to see if I could detect where the values are hitting. It was suggested that I take a Dremel Tool and grind the inside of the head(s) to give clearance for the values; either that or take them to a machine shop. But before I do so I wanted to know if the values hitting the head(s) was the result of other possible factors, such as the value springs. My thinking being that the engine may have over-heated as a result of the blown head gasket, which caused the value springs to weaken and thereby causing them to rise up higher.
Do any of you think there is any validity to that train of thought? Could there be any other explanations? I already checked everything distributor related... vacuum brake, timing, points etc. The pinging I hear is not the kind of pinging you get from bad gas; this sounds more like someone hitting a piece of sheet metal with a hammer.
Sorry to be so wordy. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Rick H.
Califronia

sally    -- 10-27-2012 @ 5:31 PM
  It would perhaps help if I spelled valves correctly

Rick H.

Richard H.

51f1    -- 10-28-2012 @ 9:34 AM
  I don't think that the valves would hit the head unless an awful lot of metal was shaved off of the head and/or the block. Don't assume the valves are hitting the heads. Take the heads off and look to see if there is any indication that the valves are hitting the heads. If not, check the clearance by putting a small amount of modeling clay in the chamber above the valves. Reinstall the heads as normal. Rotate the engine. Remove the heads and check the clay. It should be obvious whether or not you have sufficient clearance for the valves.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 10-28-12 @ 9:38 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5348