Topic: 1936 Ford passenger Fuel gauge

DaleT    -- 10-27-2012 @ 6:26 AM
  Hi Guys, I have a problem with my fuel gauge in my Sedan Delivery. It registers high, the tank is 3/4 full and the gauge goes out of sight when car is running.The gauge is known good, the sender is tested and also good, I have checked wires in tank and no shorts found. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dale T.

trjford8    -- 10-27-2012 @ 9:08 AM
  First make sure your tank is grounded good. If necessary you may have to run an extra wire from a screw on the sender to a clean spot on the frame. If this does not help you may have to pull the sender and bend the arm to get the correct reading.

TomO    -- 10-29-2012 @ 4:48 PM
  Do you have an original sending unit or an aftermarket unit?

Tom

DaleT    -- 10-30-2012 @ 6:13 AM
  It is a New aftermarket sender, I have two, one new and one I bought new 2years ago while putting car back together during restoration.. Thanks

TomO    -- 10-30-2012 @ 10:18 AM
  The aftermarket senders are difficult to calibrate. The original units work much better. The best solution is to look for an original sending unit if it will fit your tank.

The aftermarket unit use a variable resister to control the current in the circuit, Your unit is allowing too much current to flow in the circuit.

You could try bending the arm up so that the resistance is higher when the tank is full.

I checked the aftermarket unit that I have and empty is around 110 ohms and full is around 10 ohms. your gauge is reading about 25% high, so adding a resister in the circuit would reduce the current.

You can try adding a 25 ohm 5 watt resister between the sending unit and the gauge, that should bring your reading closer to reality. If it reads low, decrease the resister size, and if it reads high, increase the resister size.

Be sure to check the gauge reading at 1/2, 1/4 and empty after you make any changes. You should read empty before the tank is completely empty.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5345