Topic: wheel clyinders (foreign)

40fordor    -- 10-24-2012 @ 10:15 AM
  I need to replace or resleeve my '40 wheel cylinders. Does anyone have experience with the new cylinders sold by most of the parts suppliers. NAPA has them but their price is much higher than some others like Drake. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the new ones have tended to leak. Any comments?
Don

trjford8    -- 10-24-2012 @ 3:19 PM
  Don, I don't know about leaking, but I do know that finding American made brake parts is next to impossible. I have no idea of the cost to re-sleeve, but if your cylinders are not pitted inside you could certainly rebuild them yourself. You could do the same with the master cylinder.

40fordor    -- 10-24-2012 @ 7:49 PM
  Triford8, I rebuilt all of my cylinders and master sometime in the 1970's and honed them but all had slight pitting. One is now leaking and I am sure that they have not gotten better and I do not trust them. Resleeving is about $50 per wheel and $100 for the master (plus shipping) then I must rebuild.
Thanks for your response.
Don

supereal    -- 10-25-2012 @ 3:14 PM
  Sadly, many, if not most, auto parts are now made"offshore". Years ago, we did hone cylinders, but eventually replaced them, as any pits will cause leakage. The best sleeving uses brass, but given the cost difference, it makes sense to use cylinders from sources such as NAPA.

TomO    -- 10-26-2012 @ 8:03 AM
  Defective brake cylinders usually fail right out of the box. Most of the time I have had trouble bleeding the defective cylinders not with leaks. Others have had problems with leaking wheel cylinders.

Check local parts houses for Raybestos or Wagner cylinders. Wagner offers re-manufactured master cylinders that are done in their plant in Texas.

Expect to pay between $45-$55 for the wheel cylinders and between $60 and $85 for the master cylinder.

Dorman used to make all of their brake parts in the USA, but I am not sure if they still do. They say that they have world wide manufacturing plants.

Rock Auto carries both Dorman and Raybestos.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 10-26-12 @ 8:06 AM

40fordor    -- 11-01-2012 @ 8:18 AM
  Thanks for all replys. I have also had trobule with bleeding "offshore" units and have broken the bleed screw off on one. Will consider all advice and get it back on the road soon. Thanks again.
Don

flathead48    -- 11-01-2012 @ 12:06 PM
  I purchased raybesto kits and they were from Mexico!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-06-2012 @ 1:48 PM
  IF you have the original cylinders. I would have sleeves installed,
the last thing you want to skimp on is BRAKES !!!!
APPLE HYDRAULICS,wheel cylinder resleeved $50.00
master cylinder $80.00
I have not used their services, but would seriously would if I had brake issues,
their number 1-800-882-7753
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN
only use made in USA, if you can find new ones,

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5338