Topic: Rumble seat conversion 33 Coupe

mbwrench    -- 10-23-2012 @ 10:14 AM
  I am new to this site, just joined EFV8 as well
would like to talk about converting my 33 3 window from trunk to rumble. Car is nicely restored, panel fit and gaps all good, would like photos of 33 coupes with inside remote handle and latch, also pictures or help in attaching cushion to lid and bottom to floor
Does any one know of or can direct me to any articles on this conversion? Thanks for any help

trjford8    -- 10-23-2012 @ 10:33 AM
  I posted an answer to your question in the 1932 forum. but I'll repeat it here.
I don't recall any articles in the V-8 Times regarding this conversion.I hope you don't think this is a negative comment, but why would you want to make this conversion? If your car came originally as a trunk model I would leave it that way. I think you have to ask yourself who's going to ride in the rumbleseat? Do you want people climbing in and out and dragging their shoes across your nice paint job? You will also have to drill a hole in the right fender for a step plate and then be concerned that someone getting in or out will be putting all their weight on that one fender. The conversion will also allow some water to enter the trunk area when you are caught in a rain storm. Lastly if you use the car for touring, getting luggage or ice chest in and out of the rumble area is one huge pain.
I have owned rumble seat cars and believe me I would not own another one. I was recently looking to buy another V-8 and passed on some very good buys because they had a rumble seat.
I recommend that you talk to V-8ers who have rumble seat cars and see if they would recommend the coversion. Actually you may find someone who wants to trade you for a trunk car.
My comments are only my opinion and meant to be informational and not critical. Consider the conversion carefully as it will cost you a fair amount of time and money. You will not be able to do it without doing some paint work.I honestly believe you could trade your car straight across for a rumble seat car in like condition and save yourself a lot of time and money if you want a rumble seat.
Thank you for joining the Early Ford V-8 club. It's a great group of people we'll try to give you as much help as you need.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 10-23-12 @ 10:59 AM

TonyM    -- 10-23-2012 @ 1:25 PM
  Leave it original. Too dangerous to let anybody ride back there. Already enough rumble seats out there that no one uses. Just my opinion too. TM

78-73B

3w2    -- 10-25-2012 @ 4:48 PM
  Please see my response in the '32 section of this forum if you wish to proceed with the conversion.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5335