Topic: Drums & Shoes

bo8109b    -- 10-20-2012 @ 5:33 PM
  When a brake drum has been turned .0030, does that mean that much metal has been removed all around the drum effectivly increasing the inside diameter .0060? Can shoes with riveted linings be shimed to increase the arch for oversize drums? A brake drum turned to a maximum .0060 would have an inside diameter of approx 12&1/8". Correct?

kubes40    -- 10-20-2012 @ 6:51 PM
  Huh?
First things first:
.003" is three thousands of an inch. About the thickness of a piece of paper. i am assuming you mean the drums were turned .030" (THIRTY thousands of an inch). If that is the case, you may turn the drums safely an additional .030".
A drum at .006" would be 12.006". Almost new.
Again, you most likely mean .060", which makes the drum 12.060" in diameter. That is about 12 1/16" total. That's the maximum diameter recommended for these old Ford drums.
12 1/8" = 12.125".
Years ago a person could purchase brake shoes that were relined with thicker than "normal" linings to make up for a worn out drum.
This method was abandoned many years ago as it proved unsafe.

supereal    -- 10-21-2012 @ 3:27 PM
  Mike covered all the bases. Drum brake shoes must always be fitted to the drums. At the dealership, we had a machine that "arced" the new linings to fit. It can be done with careful use of a belt sander. Full lining contact is critical to effective braking. Without exact measurement of the drums, you likely have no way to know how many times the drums were turned. More than .060 is not recommended.

Stroker    -- 10-21-2012 @ 4:02 PM
  The last time I relined the brakes on my 38, our local machine shop still had a machine, but
"rules" didn't allow them to use it because of asbestos dust issues. I was able to borrow it, and use it at home, but as an old-timer now with COPD, I probably wouldn't advise anyone to got that route. I'd imagine today's linings are asbestos-free, but grinding shoes in your garage is not wise without good air movement.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5325