Topic: 46 fordor driveshaft size

oldford2    -- 10-19-2012 @ 10:43 AM
  Does anyone know what the diameter of the driveshaft is at the center bearing? !946 fordor. The reason I ask is because I removed the torque tube and driveshaft to install a Mitch*ll and the center bearing area looks worn. It measures 1.100" diameter. Just curious if it is worn after 50,000 miles.
Thanks
John

supereal    -- 10-19-2012 @ 6:50 PM
  The diameter of the driveshaft is the same for the entire length, so you can measure either end. The center bearing has a grease fitting about half way down. If it was neglected, the center besring may be worn. As the Mitch*ll uses itsnown torque tube and driveshaft, i wouldn't worry.

oldford2    -- 10-20-2012 @ 7:05 AM
  Bob,
My driveshaft measures 1.075 rough turned from both ends (relieved) then the center is smooth and measures 1.100. Here is the reason I am trying to find out what the center (bearing surface) of the shaft should be: I always had some clutch chatter for the first few miles then none. I am guessing that the turning action re-lubed the bearing to reduce "play". With the Mitch*ll there is no chatter at all. If I could find someone that knows what the diameter should be and what is the ID of the bearing I might be able to conclude that wear in that area contributes to chatter and we can ad that to the list of corrective actions when someone asks about chatter. Can anyone tell me where I might get those specs?
John

Stroker    -- 10-20-2012 @ 7:20 AM
  Since not all torque-tube equipped Fords have center bearings, but are still subject to chatter, that may be chasing a dead-end.

supereal    -- 10-20-2012 @ 12:03 PM
  John: I doubt that the center bearing is causing chatter. It was adopted when the light weight hollow driveshaft was replaced by the solid type. I suspect the reason the the chatter diminishes after driving a bit is that the clutch has warmed up a bit causing the lining to change. I have observed the same thing with my '47. Most old Fords have some clutch chatter, but I think it became more of a problem when asbestos was removed as part of the lining. Many years ago, the chatter was often lessened by putting the front bumper up against a tree, or other immovable object, then working the clutch to burn off the accumulation of oil and other debris. If it was caused by the center bearing, pumping in some grease should change it. That bearing is held in a rubber collar to dampen any noise. The bearing gets plenty of lube from the transmission oil working its way down the torque tube. My OD has a solid brass bushing in the tube, but there is still some chatter.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5321