Topic: '34 Fuel Gauge

jirving    -- 10-19-2012 @ 7:09 AM
  The gas gauge on my '34 Ford isn't working. What fluid is used, and is there a procedure for replacing fluid/venting the lines?

drkbp    -- 10-19-2012 @ 8:28 AM
  jirving,

Mac's has the red liquid, stk # V9280A ($2.90) and the kit, 40-9324 ($24.75). Kit has the liquid in it.

If your gage worked this is how I do it:

1. Run the gas down to a few gallons and drain the tank. Remove the gage from the dash and unconnect the small copper tube at the dash unit.

2. Blow out the very small copper tube to the tank sending unit with air. I use a bicycle pump attached to a tubeless tire stem with the valve out. Slide the small tube in the stem and pump air through it to clear the small copper tube running to the tank unit.

3. Clean the dash sight tube (pipe cleaner etc.) and be sure it does not leak the red fluid. If it leaks where the glass goes in the mount, I would try JB. I have not done that but I believe it would work.

4. Put red fluid in the glass tube until it "reads" Empty. It will just be in the bottom of the dash unit.

5. Blow air again through the small tube and attach it to the gas gage. It will read some on the gage if you trapped air which is OK. If you drained the tank it should read Empty.

6. Reinstall in dash.

If you drain the gas tank, put fuel back in and you will see the gage go up. This is what I do because I can put a few gallons in and see if my dash unit holds the trapped air and shows a reading. If it goes down, you have a leak in the tube connections. Reinstall/replace them.

It will work for years. The motion of the car helps it to "reload" the air chamber in your tank sending unit so it is possible that you coud just remove from dash and add some fluid. However, I would do the above steps and you will probably have it working so long that you won't remember how you did it. <grin> That's what happens to me.

Ken in Texas

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5320