Topic: 1947 Ford Tudor

phibbert    -- 10-18-2012 @ 2:20 PM
  I have bought 2 Bob Drake new exterior mirrors
21A-18402-R & L but the width of the bolting base is 1" & does not match the 1-3/8" wide stainless molds. Is there other cowl mounted mirrors now available with a wider base & same length & bolting dimensions please?
May be discontinued stock? Any ideas of a supplier appreciated? Cheers. Peter Hibbert. Aussie.

supereal    -- 10-18-2012 @ 2:45 PM
  Peter: that has been a complaint ever since Drake began to produce the mirrors. I haven 't had a Drake catalog for a long time, but it used to say that even though the width of the base didn't match the side trim in width, they are identical to the original mirrors. I have a pair on my '47, and agree there is a mismatch. However, they are first class pieces in every other way. I don' t know of an alternative, and I am pleased with mine.

phibbert    -- 10-19-2012 @ 12:00 AM
  Thank you for your reply. I am making two polished stainless steel 1-3/8" wide x same length pieces that I will install with sealer behind the mirror bases. Not stock looking but should match better. Kind regards, Peter. P.S. What is the flat bar with one hole used for behind the screws?

supereal    -- 10-19-2012 @ 6:18 AM
  G,day Peter.! It has been a long time since I mounted those mirrors, so I don't rcall that bar. It is likely a reinforcement, as the mirrors are fairly heavy, and also provide some leverage against the base. I, too, thought about modifying some molding for the base, but those two very short cowl trim sections are expensive to replace, at $90 a pair. I have several other mirrors, and most match the other moldings on earlier cars. I must have gotten used to the diference, as i don't seem to notice it any more.

This message was edited by supereal on 10-19-12 @ 8:56 AM

phibbert    -- 10-22-2012 @ 4:20 PM
  Thanks again. I enjoy the contact. I have decided to make S/S cowl raised pieces to match the door/hood molding profile. If I can identify you, I will send
e-mail a pic later? Keep on FORDIN`. Cheers. Peter.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5319