Topic: 1938 Ford hydraulic brakes

ellis734    -- 10-18-2012 @ 1:54 PM
  Does anyone have any idea as to how much it approximately will cost me to convert my 1938 Ford from mechanical to hydraulic brakes? Does anyone offer a complete conversion kit for sale? I'm trying to sell this car and it might require that upgrade. Thanks

CharlieStephens    -- 10-18-2012 @ 2:11 PM
  The only person I know to do a "turn key" type of conversion is Richard Lacy at earlyv8@aol.com, (626) 338-2282. You might consider puting your general location in your post and/or profile.

Charlie Stephens

supereal    -- 10-18-2012 @ 2:53 PM
  I'm not sure that converting your '38 from cable to hydraulic would increase the value, at least equal to the cost. A large contingent of old Ford owners take pride in keeping them original. Cable brakes, in conjunction with "floaters", and kept well adjusted, can function almost as well as the "juice" variety. It is an interesting historical fact that Henry Ford had his new '39 car converted to the mechanical type because he didn't trust the "new fangled" brakes.

CharlieStephens    -- 10-18-2012 @ 3:13 PM
  Supereal,

I agree with you. When I read the original post I assumed he had a buyer and need to do the conversion to close the deal. If he is still trying to sell the car it would be definitely better to leave it original.

Charlie Stephens

Stroker    -- 10-18-2012 @ 3:41 PM
  Charlie and Super: You guys are spot-on! I "inherited" my 38 with hydraulics that Dad installed pre-WWII. If anything, I'd like to go the other way, which is far more difficult. Alan (38FordV8) would agree. One thing about it, a 38 can sit for years with cable brakes and still be driveable. Try that with hydraulics. I'd think that the car would be worth more to any collector with the original brakes, which when properly serviced work great.

ford38v8    -- 10-18-2012 @ 6:10 PM
  Yes, I agree also. Even if the current brakes are in poor condition, the car is going to draw more interest with mechanicals than with juice, and of course, more interest translates to a better selling price.

Alan

trjford8    -- 10-18-2012 @ 7:30 PM
  I agree with the others. Unless the new buyer is going to pay extra for the conversion I would leave it alone. I suspect by the time you buy the parts and possibly pay sombody to do the job you'll probably spend at least $1000.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5318