Topic: Fender brace, Ford 42-48

tex42    -- 10-16-2012 @ 12:39 PM
  Could someone send me a picture or describe how the 42-48 Ford "front" fender brace attaches. I'm bringing up my 1942 Ford and can not figure out how the brace fits. Brace pictured.
Thanks, David

This message was edited by tex42 on 10-16-12 @ 1:48 PM

42wagon    -- 10-16-2012 @ 3:19 PM
  The brace fits between the fender and the inner fender just behind the wheel. You should find a single bolt hole in the bottom edge of the fender and two bolt holes, one in the inner fender and the other at the bottom edge of the inner fender at the very front edge of the cowl. The brace is the same for both the right and left sides of the car. Hope this explanation helps as it is a little difficult to take a picture with the tire in place.

Old Henry    -- 10-16-2012 @ 10:24 PM
  Here's the illustration from the parts book if that helps any.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

Old Henry    -- 10-16-2012 @ 10:39 PM
  OK. Here's one even better. A photo of the brace installed in my left fender. The deceiving part is that the brace has 6 holes but only 3 are used to attach. Just a different three on each side.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 10-16-2012 @ 10:48 PM
  And the right one. (Oops. Looks like that one took a hit and tore the bottom right connection off the bolt. Oh well, probably been like that at least 40 years. As I look back at the left one it has obviously taken a hit or two as well. Not surprised, this is the car dad took my brother and I in up the mountains during the summer that he was a lumberjack in 1963 and drove the roughest roads to get to the trees. My brother and I rode a lot sitting on the fenders with feet on the front bumper holding onto the hood ornament pretending we were riding a horse. Good times had by all.)

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 10-27-12 @ 2:32 PM

tex42    -- 10-17-2012 @ 5:50 AM
  Thanks, but I can't believe that there are three bolt holes with nothing to bolt to and that it hangs down not attaached to anything on the inside. Well, now I see how it fits, not the best design, but it works for me. Thanks David

This message was edited by tex42 on 10-17-12 @ 6:10 AM

Stroker    -- 10-17-2012 @ 7:06 AM
  tex42: I'll admit they look a little "hokey", but consider the cost savings of only having to
make one set of dies to form a part that will serve either side, and the cost savings of only
having one part number to stock. Not too many occurances of that thinking on Fords; the 37-48 cylinder heads being another good example.

Old Henry    -- 10-27-2012 @ 2:28 PM
  tex42,

I'm sure glad you asked for a photo of the fender brace and actually had a straight one so that I discovered that my brace was bent. I've had a problem for a long time keeping the stainless strip on the bottom of my front fender. Now I know why. Turns out that my fender brace for that fender that was bent pulled the bottom of that fender in a couple of inches making the back end of the trim piece pull off all the time. Just straightened that fender brace and it pushed the bottom of that fender almost out to where the other one (with the broken brace that neither pushes or pulls the fender in or out) is. Thanks for the heads up.

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 10-27-12 @ 2:29 PM

trjford8    -- 10-28-2012 @ 10:39 AM
  Due to that design on the fender brace you find a lot of them at swap meets with broken tabs where the bolt passes through them. They get lots of vibration due to lack of support.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5315