Topic: Drip Rails

stan white    -- 10-15-2012 @ 3:24 PM
  What year did ford discontinue drip rails /??? Stan

Stroker    -- 10-17-2012 @ 3:49 PM
  Stan: Ford seemed to have a fashion vs function issue with drip rails. If you are talking about early Fords, the 31 Model A was the last year. Ford again added drip rails in 37, and kept them
for the duration of the Flathead era. In the mid-seventies, they once again eliminated them, and of course today they are nowhere to be seen on new cars. In fairness though, 32-36's had a "rolled flare" that directed most water away from the window and door seals. Drip rails really only work if your car is sitting stationary in a moderate rain without wind. Modern multi-lipped
seals do a much better job of keeping the interior dry.

trjford8    -- 10-17-2012 @ 5:53 PM
  Stroker, 32's do have drip rails. 33-36 do not have them, but do have the rolled flare above the doors.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 10-17-12 @ 5:54 PM

supereal    -- 10-18-2012 @ 7:56 AM
  The main function of drip rails was to prevent being showered when the doors were opened. I finally added the plastic window covers on my pickup to do the job. In looking at my style books, it appears that drip rails were abandoned when the "hardtop convertible" arrived.

supereal    -- 10-18-2012 @ 7:56 AM
  The main function of drip rails was to prevent being showered when the doors were opened. I finally added the plastic window covers on my pickup to do the job. In looking at my style books, it appears that drip rails were abandoned when the "hardtop convertible" arrived.

Stroker    -- 10-18-2012 @ 8:18 AM
  trijford8: Yeah, I blew that one. Thanks for setting the record straight.

TomO    -- 10-19-2012 @ 8:52 AM
  Super, the 51 Victoria has drip rails with stainless covers, they were alos use on the 52 and 54 Victoria's.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5311