Topic: '37 steeering wheel play

fenbach    -- 10-13-2012 @ 7:43 PM
  how much back and forth play should a '37 steering wheel have? before the front wheels begin to turn.

and how do i snug it up?

if i hit a big bump at 20 MPH or so, the front wheels begin to wobble and the steering wheel oscillates back and forth rapidly. almost uncontrolably. would that be related to play in the steering wheel?

thanks for any and all advice.

supereal    -- 10-13-2012 @ 8:03 PM
  Any free play and/or misalignmrnt in the front end can set up shimmy so bad that the vehicle must be stopped to regain control. While you are under the car, have someone move the steering wheel while you observe all parts, such as the tie rod ends, king pins, pitman arm, and the steering box mounting bolts. Be sure the steering wheel is securely mounted to the shaft. If all of these points check out, and the spring shackles are in good shape, is is likely the worm and sector in the box is badly worn. Keeping oil in the box is always difficult, and often neglected. At one time chassis lube grease was the recommended fix, but allowed abnormal wear. In that case repair and replacement is the only remedy. By the way, this site seems to have serious server problems.

This message was edited by supereal on 10-13-12 @ 8:09 PM

fenbach    -- 10-18-2012 @ 8:20 PM
  suggestions on adjusting the '37 steering box? the bolt with lock not on the top has a cam, but i don't know how snug to make it.
thanks.

TomO    -- 10-19-2012 @ 8:45 AM
  I doubt that adjusting the free-play in the steering box will help with your problem.

The condition that you describe is usually due to worn parts in the front end.

The way that I like to check for worn parts is:
Lock the steering column in the straight ahead position.
Jack up one front wheel and try to move it left to right while observing the tie rod and drag link. Any movement means worn parts in the tie rod ends, drag link or the steering box.
Now try to move the top and bottom of the wheel, movement here is due to worn king pins or wheel bearings.
Do the same to the other side.

When you are sure that there are no worn parts, you can take up the slack in the worm and sector to reduce the play.

Tom

supereal    -- 10-19-2012 @ 8:52 AM
  I have yet to see the adjustment of the steering box improve loose steering, unless someone tried to do it without knowing the correct procedure, which has several important steps, and made the problem worse.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5306