Topic: Heater control valve.

Gary M.    -- 10-11-2012 @ 6:53 PM
  Being a sheet metal worker by trade I am going to fabricate a vintage looking heater for my 39 Standard. I purchased a vintage 6v blower on ebay for $15 and I have a small modern heater core. My car already has the heater duct in place so I can hook right up to it. I believe this stock duct system was only used for a hot air system which would have been a dealer option built by Ford. Has anyone ever seen a hot water heater unit connected to this duct system? Would there have been a cable operated heater control valve or just a twist valve under the hood? Is there a schematic that I can refer to so that I can see how the hoses would be tied into the cooling system? Any bit of info would be quite helpful. Thanks...

supereal    -- 10-11-2012 @ 8:34 PM
  In the stock heater, the "hot" side uses a hose tap on the passenger side cylinder head, and the return is to a tap installed in the lower right radiator hose. Usually there is a manual shut off valve on the head connection so the circulation can be reduced or stopped in warm weather. The modulated valve didn't come until much later, about the 50's. The duct system was used to funnel hot air to the windshield defroster, and was controlled by a knob and cable. In almost all cases, the heater was a dealer installed option. Most heaters used an electrical control so the speed and direction of the fan could be selected.

TomO    -- 10-12-2012 @ 9:12 AM
  A hot water heater for a 39 Ford would not have used the same ducting as the hot air heater. The hot water heater was a small radiator, in a box with 2 doors and a blower motor mounted on the inside of the firewall.

Here is a 1940 hot water heater and all of the installation hardware. The 39 heater looks very similar to this.

Tom

Gary M.    -- 10-12-2012 @ 6:38 PM
  Thanks for the great pic and info. Tom, what is that flex hose for if the heater mounts inside the car? Were there ever any hot water heaters made back then that would have mounted under the hood and get ducted through the firewall ? Thanks...

TomO    -- 10-17-2012 @ 8:40 AM
  Gary, the flex hose is for the defroster, it connects the outlets at the back of the heater to the nozzles mounted at the base of the windshield.

I don't remember any hot water heaters that were mounted under the hood and ducted into the car. Most hot water heaters have the core in the passenger compartment. It is simply more efficient to keep the core in the heated space.

Nash ducted outside air into it's heaters starting in the late 1930's, Ford came out with it's first fresh air heater in 1947. In both cases the heater core was located in the passenger compartment.

Tom

Old Henry    -- 10-17-2012 @ 5:50 PM
  Here's the fresh air heater that I have in my '47. It takes air from in front of the radiator, ducts it along the hood to the fan on the firewall which then blows through the firewall into the coil for the passenger compartment.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

Gary M.    -- 10-17-2012 @ 7:44 PM
  Ive seen many different types of heaters but theres always something that I havent seen yet. These different types of systems give me good ideas for the system that I want to design for my car . Thanks for your input guys....

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5302