Topic: 47 S-D Marmon Convtbl

skunk57    -- 10-10-2012 @ 4:44 AM
  I have a 47 super deluxe convertible Marmon-Herrington conversion and the frame # does not match Data Plate from M-H; is this normal?

42wagon    -- 10-10-2012 @ 11:21 AM
  The frame number is the serial number that
Ford assigned to the engine at the Rouge engine plant. They were consecutive starting with *18-1* in 1932. The number was stamped on top of the transmission case and the transferred to the frame when the engine was installed in a frame. Now if you still have the original transmission the number should match your frame. No one worried about the importance of VIN numbers in those days so it probably is normal that the Marmon Herrington number does not appear on the car frame.

1932BB    -- 10-10-2012 @ 12:09 PM
  Can you post a picture or two? I'm guessing that it is quite a rare body type for a MH!

Stroker    -- 10-10-2012 @ 12:16 PM
  To elaborate a bit; Marmon Herrington would have received a fully assembled Ford and
filled an order for the conversion. All the original Ford stamps would be, (as 42 Wagon indicated) already present. Marmon Herrington's data plate only memorializes the conversion, for their records, and any conversion-related warranty issues. Vehicle
registrations of that era varied greatly by state and country, but I would suspect that
the vehicle would have been originally registered using the manufacturers sequential
serial number, rather than that of the conversion.

skunk57    -- 10-10-2012 @ 2:21 PM
  First thank you guys for rsvp my dad has owned car since 54 and got it from an uncle. I have registrations from 49 and all are using M-H #'s. To re-reg in FL. do i use frame # or M-H # ? (if i can figure out how to upload pics i will) Car has been re-bodied & this is an ameture resto-but chassis & drivetrain are original with a truck 4 speed trans. engine # appears to have been scored with a welding rod

This message was edited by skunk57 on 10-10-12 @ 2:45 PM

supereal    -- 10-11-2012 @ 1:36 PM
  Registration policies vary widely from state to state. I'd use the previous registration as a basis for application for a new one, even in a new state, without mentioning the modifications. I've seen lots of station wagon M-H conversions, but never a convertible. It would certainly be interesting to know why someone ordered one that way.

MDB    -- 10-12-2012 @ 7:28 AM
  From my experience, 1st step is to determine whether the Ford original ID's are verifiable and matching. If drivable, make appointment to with your FL DMV local office for official inspection. Be sure to have most recent title/registrations, bill of sale and any other pertinent documents with you. If not drivable, you need to schedule an on site inspection of the vehicle by a County sherrif deputy or City police officer. Be sure to have the same documentation available. On your initial call to DMV they may advise of online forms to be filled out in advance. It can be a relatively easy venture or a nightmare depending on available info. Good Luck!

wmsteed    -- 10-12-2012 @ 9:20 AM
  It would seem perfectly normal for MH to have retained the stock FORD VIN, adding their normal tags denoting the serial numbers, gear ratio's etc., for the MH components..
The four speed trans in a car would be very unusual, however, I would venture a guess that MH used the 4spd trans as part of their normal retrofit to 4 x 4..
I know of a '48 Ford DeLuxe club coupe, MH 4 x 4, that is sitting in a barn... The owners grandfather purchased the '48 MH as a new car in '48.
Why a convertible MH?? If the car was in Australia, no one would give it a second thought... Just another rich European's fancy shooting car....Bill

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

rotorwrench    -- 10-12-2012 @ 1:34 PM
  My great uncle had open station wagons in Africa before the war. They just used a canvas top with a removeable frame work to support it. They had no doors or windows other than the wind shield. He shipped a lot of cargo back and forth to the US during that time frame and they were left hand drive models so I don't think they were made in Europe but I don't know for certain. I'm sure he would have loved to have had the M/H conversions out there in the bush.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5296